What tangs can I keep in my 6’ 175 gallon tank?

coolcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOT 175 gallons! It’s close to 120. Sorry, was confused there.

Hello reef-enthusiasts! I soon hope to get a six foot aquarium (INFINIA Frag 175.6) and I love tangs. I have never owned tangs but was hoping with this tank I could. I know some tangs can get as small as six inches and some can get as large as ten inches or more. I don’t have a size preference for the tangs, so any that could live comfortably in this tank are perfect. I like yellow tangs, powder blue tangs, blue tangs and purple tangs, but I’m very open to any. So, I was wondering if I could keep one of each (yellow, powder blue, blue, and purple) in this tank. And if not, could I keep two or three yellows? What are your recommendations for a tang that can live its entire life in this tank? So, if no tangs can live in this tank, can i get some tank recommendations?

Thank you for reading. C:

IMG_0452.png

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOT 175 gallons! It’s close to 120. Sorry, was confused there.

Hello reef-enthusiasts! I soon hope to get a six foot aquarium (INFINIA Frag 175.6) and I love tangs. I have never owned tangs but was hoping with this tank I could. I know some tangs can get as small as six inches and some can get as large as ten inches or more. I don’t have a size preference for the tangs, so any that could live comfortably in this tank are perfect. I like yellow tangs, powder blue tangs, blue tangs and purple tangs, but I’m very open to any. So, I was wondering if I could keep one of each (yellow, powder blue, blue, and purple) in this tank. And if not, could I keep two or three yellows? What are your recommendations for a tang that can live its entire life in this tank? So, if no tangs can live in this tank, can i get some tank recommendations?

Thank you for reading. C:

IMG_0452.png
Yellow and purple should be okay in this tank. Powder blue or blue hippo may get too big for this tank. Consider tomini or any other bristletooth if you want more than the yellow and purple. I will say that if you’re going to add a yellow and a purple that they should be added at the same time as juveniles to have the best shot at them being able to tolerate each other. Best of luck in this new adventure!

PopDBE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the mfg list tank volume, they dont subtract glass thickness and overflow. So realistically, its about 165 gallon of water give or take.

Just have a lot of hiding space and get them small.

Is possible, introduce them at the same time. If cant, them get pbt first and purple last.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep 3 or 4 tangs that won’t get too large.
Purple, yellow (avoid Sailfin), kole (most of the tangs in this genus other than Chevron), convict. Basically I would not add any tang that listed as growing to more than 9 inches or so. They won’t get anywhere near that size in captivity but tangs like Powder Blue, Sailfin and Chevron get large very quickly.

The you have to worry about temperament. You should add them in order with the most aggressive last.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back