Bottom Pane, Scratch or Crack?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a leak test on my new JBJ 30 today and after feeling all happy after a successful test, to my horror, I discovered what appears to be a crack in the glass on the bottom pane. Maybe it would be considered only a scratch? The aquarium came with some equipment taped to the bottom pane and because of some remaining adhesive on the glass, I missed the crack on original inspection. After the leak test when I was about to remove the adhesive stains, I found the crack.

Some info on the crack:
-it is about 1/2” long
-it is about hair width
-it is on the bottom pane which is not tempered
-it is only inside the aquarium
-it is not deep at all
-if I run my finger over it I can not feel it, but if I run my fingernail over it I can feel it catch the crack

Here are some iPhone pictures to help. In some of the images it looks like two scratches, but that is just a reflection.
0E9F1187-E479-4C74-91D2-B40176B9426E.jpeg

4CB1AC91-8688-4BD9-B864-484BD5A30027.jpeg

437ACA0A-2719-45E1-940C-EDD0D2348D04.jpeg

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but looking for any opinions on the severity of this blemish. Perhaps @NowGlazeIT or @rcpalmer1 can weigh in? No one wants to have to send a tank back, but maybe this is an easy fix? I know nothing about working with glass. Thank you all.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I would tell someone the same thing. I know nothing about glass, but it seems obvious. Would nonetheless like to understand all of my options. I was just so bummed that I wanted to share and reinforce what I already know. Thanks.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks more like a scratch to me as it's two lines parallel to each other not only would that be an unusual crack line but they likely would have connected too. You wanna check to see if you can feel it on both sides of the glass as well. But as Rakie said if it came like that then it was defective and isn't worth the risk in the long run.

That's my determination from the pictures, of course in person it might look different and I could always be viewing the picture incorrectly.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t feel it at all with the skin of your finger chances are it’s a crack and there’s no better fix then a new piece of glass. It’s not possible for me to see over pics unless you knew exactly what to look for and then at the same time able to capture it on camera. With the right light and angle a crack will reveal a rainbow colored line indicating the direction the crack is going that kinda stuff just doesn’t come up on cameras easy. But look at it from both sides and try your best to see any stress inside the glass and if your just not sure be SAFE not sorry

Last edited:

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a scratch to me and not a crack as you cannot feel it with anything but nail but as a brand new tank it should be perfect. I wish you the best though as it may be difficult to prove you didn't do anything to it. I had an issue with my first tank and Aqueon 75gal that leaked on the leak test. Luckily the store manager(friend of mine) was AT MY HOUSE FOR THE LEAK TEST! When he spoke to the warranty department he couldn't believe how much hassle they gave HIM! I did eventually get a new tank but it put my cycle back another 2 weeks. I hope your experience is 100x better than mine!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture does look like a scratch but Seeing it in person could look different and scratches can also have a small crack if the impact was hard and at an angle. especially on thinner glass like 1/4 and less

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the seller and the manufacturer impressed me today. I will update with more specifics when this issue is resolved.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let’s just say I am getting a new aquarium at no charge and both of them offered to make it easy. As it was new to begin with, that is what one should expect, of course. I was still worried before communicating with them. I will be more specific when I have the new tank and verify it’s integrity.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update, JBJ is sending me a new aquarium based on their warranty. Of the options they and the seller, SaltwaterAqaurium.com, offered, I decided this one worked best for everyone. I was going to wait and update this after I received the new tank, but I have asked them to hold off on sending it until after the holidays. I want to get it done, of course, but I am not in a rush to set up the tank. It just seemed smart to wait during the current Christmas shipping madness.

I want to say that both companies, JBJ and @SaltwaterAq were extremely helpful and made this very easy. It was a new aquarium, but I still was worried. Would there be any shipping charges I might incur or other hassles that might pop up. There were none. In fact I was offered many options on how to proceed and all of them were easy. I cannot say enough about the service these two companies offered and would highly recommend them to others. Thanks for following.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a leak test on my new JBJ 30 today and after feeling all happy after a successful test, to my horror, I discovered what appears to be a crack in the glass on the bottom pane. Maybe it would be considered only a scratch? The aquarium came with some equipment taped to the bottom pane and because of some remaining adhesive on the glass, I missed the crack on original inspection. After the leak test when I was about to remove the adhesive stains, I found the crack.

Some info on the crack:
-it is about 1/2” long
-it is about hair width
-it is on the bottom pane which is not tempered
-it is only inside the aquarium
-it is not deep at all
-if I run my finger over it I can not feel it, but if I run my fingernail over it I can feel it catch the crack

Here are some iPhone pictures to help. In some of the images it looks like two scratches, but that is just a reflection.
0E9F1187-E479-4C74-91D2-B40176B9426E.jpeg

4CB1AC91-8688-4BD9-B864-484BD5A30027.jpeg

437ACA0A-2719-45E1-940C-EDD0D2348D04.jpeg

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but looking for any opinions on the severity of this blemish. Perhaps @NowGlazeIT or @rcpalmer1 can weigh in? No one wants to have to send a tank back, but maybe this is an easy fix? I know nothing about working with glass. Thank you all.
Sorry I have not been on the site in a few days. That is defiantly a crack. The reason it looks like two is the crack from the middle reflecting on the surface. I am glad to hear they are warranting it. Are they wanting the old back? If not PM me and I help you replace the pane. It is not that hard and would make one heck of a sump.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have not been on the site in a few days. That is defiantly a crack. The reason it looks like two is the crack from the middle reflecting on the surface. I am glad to hear they are warranting it. Are they wanting the old back? If not PM me and I help you replace the pane. It is not that hard and would make one heck of a sump.

Wow, thanks for the offer. They are not asking for it back. Once I have the new aquarium I may PM you. Thanks!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after four months, I received my replacement aquarium last week. Opened it upon receipt and did a quick check of the glass. No issues. Yesterday I had time to finally open it, check all the accessories and clean the tank. Well, I am sad to report I found this on the bottom pane

5F6A18E2-21E2-4EF7-AAF7-778B05956A26.jpeg

8D9F94C7-94FF-4067-B092-0061A6FB4A1C.jpeg

A couple of scratches, but the triangular shape looks like a bad point of impact to me. I can feel it with my finger (not just my finger nail) and it feels scratchy. Ugh. Not happy.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That is what I was thinking. I cannot return the tank for cash after 6 months and have been dealing directly with the manufacturer on the warranty claim. They have been communicative and have been trying. This tank for example was not the 30 I had originally, but a 45. They upgraded me after the delay to get an aquarium delivered. I guess we try again. I do not see another option without additional expense.

I was just so happy to finally get rolling and then, another delay.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh NY_Caveman... This seems like a heck of a time. How did this end up?

It took me three tanks to get a usable one. Two came with cracks or bad scratches in the bottom pane. I love the third one in use now. I was upgraded to a 45 Gallon Flat Panel aquarium based on what they had available at the time.

Back