Bought 150 Gallon Tank - Now Concerns

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice job its really sharp reef.

we want to use the test .25 reading in stuck cycle study threads is why w be handy to see today's reading, correlated with that awesome setup.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
some nice corals waitin in wings there,just my opinion,seachem denitrate can help,
can you better describe fluctuations?

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice job its really sharp reef.

we want to use the test .25 reading in stuck cycle study threads is why w be handy to see today's reading, correlated with that awesome setup.
I just completed the ammonia test, I am sure its wrong it's very close but I would have to say the reading still shows .25 - Something is wrong with the test kit.

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some nice corals waitin in wings there,just my opinion,seachem denitrate can help,
can you better describe fluctuations?
The overflow seems to be running fine and the level in the sump is stable. It can be this way for hours or even a day or so, then then sump level will be either 1-3 to high and then the sump level can be 1-3 " low. I am starting to wonder if this isn't an overflow problem but maybe my return pump is having issues?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
check overflows for a snail poss clogging on and off ,or other piece of debris ,also pump intake,then lean to pump fluctuations

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done being confident in your system. much like luke and han were part of a band of outlaws, nonconformists

back in the ice ages of reefing a similar band of keyboard warriors broke free, refusing to believe api

they were hunted

banned, in fact.

filleted

yet they remain, ranks increasing
(you dont have free ammonia as a slight echo from the canyon walls)

light saber duel is imminent. between stuck cyclists and those who can clearly see a working reef w happy corals and fish and sensitive inverts who'd never tolerate free ammonia.

:) api does the best it can for low level constants. its that change factor we can use it for: in any active surface area reef tank using that very kit, you could dose to a slightly darker color with ammonia, wait, and it will come back down to that calibrated level very fast.

when used that way, for change watch not bottom end, api is a decent tool. for bottom end measures, use seneye

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished printing my new ATO float holder, will see how it works.

IMG_3516.jpg IMG_3517.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, we have the Sernene light on the top backside of the rim of the aquarium.
I'm doing that in our new build. Do you mind posting some more pics? Did you use the film that came with the kit? It never crossed my mind to use it on the top!!! @NY_Caveman

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing that in our new build. Do you mind posting some more pics? Did you use the film that came with the kit? It never crossed my mind to use it on the top!!! @NY_Caveman
Yes we used the film that came with it. We didn't like the way it looked on the bottom. On the bottom we have more sand and rock etc. To us it looks nicer on the top. I need to make a bracket to mount it to the wall instead of the suction cups as they seem to come loose once a week or so.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes we used the film that came with it. We didn't like the way it looked on the bottom. On the bottom we have more sand and rock etc. To us it looks nicer on the top. I need to make a bracket to mount it to the wall instead of the suction cups as they seem to come loose once a week or so.
Mind if I steal your idea? It's brilliant!

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I steal your idea? It's brilliant!
Of course not, I am not sure but the instructions may have stated either or? I don't recall why we thought of it, just figured it worked better in our case. I think it would be easier (more stable) to mount it on the bottom off of the stand but it doesn't have the look we wanted. Send pictures of your setup when your ready.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
does the water level change have anything to do with filter sock changes? 2nd that hose deeper n clamp!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like your opinion please. Since you have been enjoying the light already, I was planning on using a thicker frosted film to enhance the back of our tank during daytime. Mind taking a look? As you can see,
IMG_20200501_174314791.jpg
our overflow is white and it will be in front of a dark teal green wall.

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like your opinion please. Since you have been enjoying the light already, I was planning on using a thicker frosted film to enhance the back of our tank during daytime. Mind taking a look? As you can see,
IMG_20200501_174314791.jpg
our overflow is white and it will be in front of a dark teal green wall.
Well I only have experience with the film it came with, however I have wondered what else it would work with so someone could make their own :) I am not sure what you mean by "to enhance the back of our tank during daytime". Are you asking if the Serene works as well in the daytime? I have ours on an 8am-8pm schedule. Also since we bought our tank with alto of the livestock shown from Craigslist and we had to move it 30+ miles our focus was on the move and keeping everything alive with as little stress as possible. We added the background weeks later, since your starting with a clean tank you have the luxury of trying both films, a top and bottom lighting position for comparison very easily. We had quite a time getting the film on the back of a 6' aquarium 2-3" from the wall. :) Keep us posted on your progress.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the water level change have anything to do with filter sock changes? 2nd that hose deeper n clamp!
Not sure, I change the sock every other day usually. Last night when I was watching the tank the water level in the sump (pump return section) would vary up and down about 1" in a minute. Add fluctuation, but it doesn't always do that. Sometimes it waves up and down so much it triggers my ATO then it adds water when it shouldn't. I am out of ideas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back