Bowfront 36 with Fluval 407 Canister

Henrik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 1 year old Top Fin Bowfront 36 that had been running as a saltwater tank with a Fluval 407 filter.

There had been a major algae out break and he has just cycled the tank again with the old rock, sand and filter media in place.

So after physically moving the tank I added new 20 gallons of new water from the LFS kept about a third of the old water, added another 15lbs of rock and replaced the old sand with 20 lbs of new sand.

He told me that he has not touched the filter or media in the year that he has had it running. I bought all new filter media but figured that I will slowly replace it piece by piece over the next few months as I try to piggyback on the bacteria already in there. Is that the correct way to handle the 407 canister media?

I also ordered 2 x AI Prime 16HDs to replace the Nicrew light that it came with.

F5E4E2E8-2C3D-46EC-AEAD-6825DDBF20F9.jpeg

OP
OP
Henrik

Henrik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to replace the media?
Because they have not been touched in a year and Fluval recommends:

Bio-media does clog over time, and it is recommended to provide clean filter media for effective colonization by bacteria. This family of nitrifying bacteria will benefit from partial media changes every 3-6 months to ensure clean porous surfaces are available. Regular cleaning and replacement of mechanical media, such as foam, also promote better conditions for the growth and prosperity of these beneficial bacteria.
I am new to this and am just trying to figure out what would be best for the fish and future corals. Figured it would make sense to not touch it for a month or two to let the bacteria settle back into the tank. Is it best to leave the canister and filters in it alone all together?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they have not been touched in a year and Fluval recommends:

I am new to this and am just trying to figure out what would be best for the fish and future corals. Figured it would make sense to not touch it for a month or two to let the bacteria settle back into the tank. Is it best to leave the canister and filters in it alone all together?
maybe I should pay more attention to my media. I shake the ceramic media around every eon and a half when after a water change and squeeze out the sponges. that's it.

OP
OP
Henrik

Henrik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I should pay more attention to my media. I shake the ceramic media around every eon and a half when after a water change and squeeze out the sponges. that's it.
Do you ever rinse out the sludge in the bottom of the canister?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back