Boxfish death

Radoi Florin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a new 2 moths 200L old tank. I have 2 clownfish and 1 damselfish and some corals. The tank was thriving, everything in check. Yesterday I bought one beautiful boxfish. He was doing ok untill today. Suddenly he was falling on the ground heavy breathing, wanted to jump out of the aquarium spitting water and some other crazy stuff. After that all my fish started to breath hard, no red gills. I thought it was an amonnia problem. I rushed to make a big 50% water change and added some prime. When I almost finished the water change the boxfish died in front of my eyes. It was so heartbreaking… I have lost one shrimp too. Now the tank has a 50% water change done and 20 ml of prime added to it. The amonnia levels are 0 , nitrites 0, nitrate 10, ph lev 7,6 but the remaining fishes are breathing very fast. No white spots on them, no red gills. I know the boxfish can be poisonous when is dying but i removed him from the tank seconds after his death. Please help! I don’t want to loose anymore fishes

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Boxfish would grow to over a foot. You need to do your research on livestock before you get them. There is no such thing as a 2 month old tank that is thriving, 2 years maybe. Add some carbon to the filter if you haven't already. What are all your water parameters? You need to go slow and do lots of research.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a primary example of where updated cycling science would assist in reducing losses, vs old cycling science which causes losses.

It is not possible for a two month old reef with fish, running and fed normal, to have rising ammonia without a multiple fish kill in place left to rot, its the only cause just shy of dosing meds into a display that don't belong in displays, and wiping out the filter. You cannot have rising ammonia in the tank described, it doesn't occur/new cycling science

fish kills left to rot in tank cause ammonia rising; ammonia rising without dosing of meds will never occur, to cause a fish kill. Its an absolute firm rule in cycling science courtesy of seneye meters, to the dismay of api tests lol.

-your tank couldnt be alive this long if you lacked full surface area for filtration, and that doesn't sag or lag or do anything but remain as it was in a cycle. Example: on a cycling chart, the ammonia line never rises after it drops on day ten.

You have disease wipeouts occurring or acclimation stresses, its not in your biofilter.

Old cycling science simply never told us that cycles maintain themselves, or that cycling charts are correct on ammonia dynamics. We bought more replacement bacteria due to this information withholding, you'd dose absolutely nothing into this system, and instate fallow and quarantine per the fish disease forum.

after cycling, you wouldnt test for ammonia again. you'd simply remove dead fish and try not to cause them by adding without qt and fallow, using only species known to work well in your experience.

Last edited:

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, @Radoi Florin. You need to study-up more, if you wish to enjoy the hobby long term. And when you think you are proceeding slowly... slow it down even more. Best wishes! ;)

+1

Definitely not a fish for a new tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like boxfish toxin to me. A 200l is small for a fish like that, because the toxin could have wiped out your whole tank. Good thing you were right on it with the water change. Adding carbon and/or a poly filter will remove rhe remaining toxin.

OP
OP
R

Radoi Florin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like boxfish toxin to me. A 200l is small for a fish like that, because the toxin could have wiped out your whole tank. Good thing you were right on it with the water change. Adding carbon and/or a poly filter will remove rhe remaining toxin.
I have a 400g bag of carbon in my sump

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good call by Lion king, there’s no guarantee the carbon assisted in time with partial contact only in the sump, compared to a throughput filter like a canister and even then it’s not been tested or written about…part of the reason that species seems off limits as I’m reading the posts is due to uncommon challenges. For sure they’re saying dont buy another, stick with familiar species

OP
OP
R

Radoi Florin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good call by Lion king, there’s no guarantee the carbon assisted in time with partial contact only in the sump, compared to a throughput filter like a canister and even then it’s not been tested or written about…part of the reason that species seems off limits as I’m reading the posts is due to uncommon challenges. For sure they’re saying dont buy another, stick with familiar species
It was a small boxfish. I knew he was going to be big at maturity. I was planning to make a bigger tank in my new house and move them. This is a tank from my apartment. I just installed a canister filter with the carbon media in it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back