Boxofwater Reefer 350 Build

boxofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time lurker, first time poster

Ive been in the hobby for many years, with lots of ups and downs. Ive had times I was 100% into my tank, and others where it was pulling teeth for me to clean the glass. My wife and I moved into our first home about 3 years ago, where I upgraded my old Solana tank to a 24 gallon IM lagoon. Came home a few weeks ago from a long weekend in the mountains to water on the floor.. oh no.

Called a friend to bring over a spare tank so I could save what I could. I was ready to give up, try to sell the livestock that survives, and be done with the hobby. My wife quickly snapped me out of that nonsense, and mentioned that when we moved into house I wanted a different tank, but we couldn't afford it. She told me go for it.

So here we are! Parts are starting to trickle in, and the tank is scheduled to be delivered this Friday.

Equipment List
1 x Reefer 350 - White
1 x Reef Octopus Classic 150sss 6" Protein Skimmer
2 x Nero 5 Powerhead
1 x Reef Octopus VarioS-6 DC Return Pump
2 X Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED
2 X Radion XR15 G5 Tank Mount System
1 X AutoAqua Smart ATO
1 X Tunze Osmolator 3155
2 X InkBird Controller
2 X 300w Finnex TH Deluxe Titanium Heaters
40lbs Caribsea Liferock
55lbs Reef Saver Rock

Last edited:
OP
OP
boxofwater

boxofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImage3HzTN3.jpg
Im starting of with 40lbs of Caribsea Liferock (Shapes package) so hopefully that will be enough to give me what im looking for. I will be moving over a few rocks from my current holding tank as well.

I bought some E-Marco 400 (Pink) to work on my scape, and marked out an outline of my tank.
tempImagevsD2O5.jpg

For the life of me I could not find a photo of the Liferock broken in half, so hopefully this photo will help someone in the future.

OP
OP
boxofwater

boxofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized because the hole in the back of the stand is not centered. Is it safe to have power strips plugged into short extension cords? My idea it to have two short extension cords run from the wall, six inches over into the stand. Each extension cord would then have a power strip installed. Would that be safe? I could probably pull the stand further away from the wall so I could reach over and unplug if needed, but would prefer to have it closer to the wall.

OP
OP
boxofwater

boxofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water and sand were added on Friday. Let the tank heat up, and added Dr Tim’s today and dosed ammonia to 2ppm. Let the cycle begin!

Last edited:
OP
OP
boxofwater

boxofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia has dropped to about .2, but Nitrites are still over 1ppm. (Not sure how high, my RedSea test kit only goes to 1). It's been quite a while since I have cycled a tank, I did some reading on here. Looks like Nitrites are now considered nothing to worry about? Not sure if I should dose ammonia to 2ppm again, to verify it goes down within 24 hours or not.

OP
OP
boxofwater

boxofwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 You seem to be very knowledgeable in this. What are your thoughts?

20 Nov- Live sand and water from LFS added. New tank, dry BRS ReefSaver rock.

22 Nov- Dr. Tims added with all pumps off for two hours. Later that night dosed ammonia to 2ppm. (Verified with Red Sea test kit)

24 Nov- Ammonia dropped to 1.2ppm, Nitrite .1ppm

25, 26, 27 Nov- Ammonia 1.2ppm, Nitrite .1ppm

28 Nov- Thought I might have received a bad bottle of Dr. Tims, added Bio-Spira.

29 Nov- Ammonia .2ppm, Nitrite 1+ppm

30 Nov- Ammonia 0 - .2ppm, Nitrite 1+ppm

Test kit has been also used on my current tank, with results as expected. From reading some of your posts it seems Nitrite is not an issue anymore? Do you have any suggestions on next steps? dose Ammonia to 2ppm to verify it drops in 24 hours? Wait another week before start to move a few corals over? Water Change?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are fully done. Its easy to find working proof threads now since each strain of bottle bac is used so frequently. the minor drop in ammonia was the signal point on the dr tims and for the biospira, that's skip cycle able, which is why yours is ready. a full reef on day one with one dose of biospira and no testing.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be prudent to add your starting clean up crew etc. Nobody says you have to break ikes record for fastest full reef but you can do that too apparently lol

Dosers in 2020 took cycling waits and relegated them to the era of dialup

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

• I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

• Other.

Back