Brackish crabs?

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to the fish store this afternoon with the goal of a new tank. I have always wanted to do freshwater/brackish crabs but never really had time. My plan is a 20g long, semiaragonite sand and an internal power filter. Probably going to do brackish water, can I transplant live sand from my reef to get some bacteria into the crab tank? Thanks for your help

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bump, also can anyone tell me if I can put salt snails into Brackish water?
I think it will depend on the snail. Typical ones like trochus that we see that are in reefs maybe not, but I know nerites and periwinkles and others that you need a lid for may have different requirements as they could be things collected in Florida near estuaries. Just examples, I'm not sure about those even. Some snail expert should know more.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Was just looking around and saw that zebra nerites are brackish. https://modestfish.com/nerite-snail...a natalensis,brown stripes along their shells.

The reason I mentioned snails that need lids might be is because those types are puddle jumpers and either travel in tide pools or across land and I assumed some in tide pools might be brackish pools where rivers reach the ocean. Lots of snails are collected in Florida. Maybe even Florida ceriths, I'm not sure. I ordered a huge variety of snails from ReefCleaners so just check the description and email them about it.

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just looking around and saw that zebra nerites are brackish. https://modestfish.com/nerite-snails/#:~:text=Zebra Nerite Snails (Neritina natalensis,brown stripes along their shells.

The reason I mentioned snails that need lids might be is because those types are puddle jumpers and either travel in tide pools or across land and I assumed some in tide pools might be brackish pools where rivers reach the ocean. Lots of snails are collected in Florida. Maybe even Florida ceriths, I'm not sure. I ordered a huge variety of snails from ReefCleaners so just check the description and email them about it.
ok, I’ll ask about that at my lfs

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back