Brad’s 180g mixed reef build

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a work standpoint I hate it lol, driving from Baltimore every week is a pain but it is what it is. But I’ve found my fun area over in Robinson Township. It’s a great area overall
I’m a big fan on the squirrel hill area. Topgolf is also fun. Do you know of any reef stores in the area?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Saturday to you wonderful people!
4A3B00DE-28D0-40C3-9F82-D705AA2290D9.jpeg
What size tank are you trying to cycle ;Joyful

OP
OP
Brad_95

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you trying to cycle ;Joyful
Hahaha currently none, once I make sure the stand is fully waterproofed, I’ll get everything plumbed and leak test it all. Once the test is successful then it’s time to start doing some fun things. I’m hoping to have everything fully transferred by June at the latest.

OP
OP
Brad_95

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DE0A60E2-7B4B-48A2-90A4-374AA4E3762B.jpeg

Hey everyone, it’s been a very long couple of months with switching jobs and getting prepared for a wedding.

so the last time I checked, the tank and stand was showing to be level, if anything off by 1/2” with a six foot level. I didn’t think it was off by much, so I decided to go ahead and start filling the tank with water. As my math came out correctly one side has the water sitting 1/2” lower than the other. Front to back is perfect so there’s no concern there. Is this okay?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re finally up and running? It’s roughly 210 gallons overall, what heater combinations do y’all recommend?
I am running finnex titanium controlled via inkbirds on all of my tanks. Works great. If you want a little more budget friendly, use enheim heaters. I am just limited on space, so went the finnex route, as the enheim heaters are quite a bit larger.

For your tank, if the house stays a decent temp, I would do 2x 300w heaters. If it gets a little chilly, add another.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am running finnex titanium controlled via inkbirds on all of my tanks. Works great. If you want a little more budget friendly, use enheim heaters. I am just limited on space, so went the finnex route, as the enheim heaters are quite a bit larger.

For your tank, if the house stays a decent temp, I would do 2x 300w heaters. If it gets a little chilly, add another.
Steve ,what do you think of 1/2 " lean ??
i think too much,would drain down and shim up 1/4" on low end...:(

OP
OP
Brad_95

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s located in the basement and the basement is underground so the temp swings aren’t all that crazy compared to the rest of the house

OP
OP
Brad_95

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve ,what do you think of 1/2 " lean ??
i think too much,would drain down and shim up 1/4" on low end...:(
It’s actually at 3/8” so dead even between 1/2 and 1/4. I brought up the same question in another thread and there was a consensus that, as long as the tank sits evenly on the stand and the stand is square. That change in level isn’t significant enough to be of any concern

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back