OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take better pictures tonight once the sun goes down.

19620194298_7ce75c5c35_z.jpg

My wife and I planned out the stand for a 48x18x?" tank this morning. Going to do mangrove in the corner, with the large slopping hill. The hill will basically be a 24" macro meadow slopping down to a mixed reef. The mixed reef will be all individual islands. Probably one large island with a bunch of smaller ones around it.

Just gotta decide on the height.

Striker089

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brad,
any tips on taking care of the mangroves? mine lost all the leaves what should I do?

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your tank! You've done a great job on it! I think I may do one like that some day.

OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brad,
any tips on taking care of the mangroves? mine lost all the leaves what should I do?

I honestly don't. I planted mine in some miracle mud and spray the leaves 3 times a week. Other than that, I don't do anything special. Make sure you have good light, and nutrients for the mangroves thrive.

OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have breifly mentioned that I will be combing this tank with my mixed reef tank. The new tank will be 48x18x14, and is being ordered today.

This is the bulk of the scape, it takes up about 24". You can see the valley and the cave, and the mangroves will be placed in the back corner.
tank%201_zpsjmkdhhtn.jpg

The hill on the left will be all sand and covered in turtle grass and pinecone algae. The valley in the middle will have rocks glued to the vertical walls you can see in the picture. Then there is a cave off to the right. The inside of the cave will be all rock, and have a WP10 moving out water. There will also be a cave entrance from the valley, just not sure on the exact location. All the macro's from this tank will be replanted all over the tops of the eggcrate.

The other 24" of this tank will be a mixed reef, full of little islands.

tank%203_zpswqa5ycam.jpg

I will also be cutting off all the extra egg crate, just wanted to show scale. The eggcrate is about 47x17.

OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Mangroves in my tank, they really dont grow, They have plenty of light

How long have you had them? Did you plant them in mud/sand or are they floating? If your tank is too clean, then they won't have the nutrients to feed off and grow.

By "they really don't grow", what is your expectation for growth? How long does it take for them to sprout new leaves?

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really dont sprout leaves, They have a good root system. I have them in crushed coral. I also run my skimmer 24/7, Thats probilly is most of the problem
How long have you had them? Did you plant them in mud/sand or are they floating? If your tank is too clean, then they won't have the nutrients to feed off and grow.

By "they really don't grow", what is your expectation for growth? How long does it take for them to sprout new leaves?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back