Brain coral ID

JDnKY

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2018
Messages
514
Reaction score
1,049
Location
Kentucky
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this coral? I’m pretty sure it’s a type of Brain coral but was wondering if anyone can identify it any further? I really like this piece and would like to get another one, or two, in different colors. I thought it was a Platygyra but after buying a small Platy I’m not so sure they’re the same type of coral.


upload_2019-3-11_23-36-54.jpeg
 
favia faviate share a ridge. This has separate ridges
 
Agree on Favia sp. I have one that came in as a pea size hitchhiker on a Zoa frag that I purchased a few years ago.. the Zoa’s have done nothing but the Favia has just about completely overgrown the plug.

22EF930A-0463-4033-9FF9-8F139619F962.png
 
Agree on Favia sp. I have one that came in as a pea size hitchhiker on a Zoa frag that I purchased a few years ago.. the Zoa’s have done nothing but the Favia has just about completely overgrown the plug.

22EF930A-0463-4033-9FF9-8F139619F962.png
Nice piece! Didn’t expect it to turn out to be a Favia. Kinda surprised to see Zoa’s survive that close to it, mine has gnarly tentacles at night I figured would have killed most anything that close to it. I love the color on yours.
 
Nice piece! Didn’t expect it to turn out to be a Favia. Kinda surprised to see Zoa’s survive that close to it, mine has gnarly tentacles at night I figured would have killed most anything that close to it. I love the color on yours.

I’m surprised also, funny how the Zoa’s refuse to grow and they also seem to refuse to die :D Picture of the frag when I purchased it.

17202B68-F520-4BE1-9AB9-7A05A558C1F0.png
 
Can anyone identify this coral? I’m pretty sure it’s a type of Brain coral but was wondering if anyone can identify it any further? I really like this piece and would like to get another one, or two, in different colors. I thought it was a Platygyra but after buying a small Platy I’m not so sure they’re the same type of coral.


upload_2019-3-11_23-36-54.jpeg
acan, just not sure the type due to the quality of the photo
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new