Brain Coral questions.

daniejd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New or the site and a first time poster (lurked for a while, but joined to post this questions).

In the aquascaping design phase of a pico tank. With that in mind looking for a spherical coral (shape matters more at this point) that doesn’t get too large (smaller the better but 4” to 5” in diameter would be acceptable).

With my limited experience ‘brain coral’ comes to mind. However, I have no idea if any fit the bill (ones that get larger, but are very slow growers may be ok). So have a few questions.

1) Knowing ‘Brain Coral‘ is a large group of several genera, is there one species that will work?
2) The placement will be on the sand bed, I had read that for Rose coral in the Caribbean one form lives on the sand bed and it retards it growth, is that true for any aquarium species?
3) When placing on the sand bed would it be better with or without the frag plug?

So in a nutshell, looking for a spherical coral, that stays small, I can slow the growth, or grows extremely slowly.

Thank you in advance.

-J

OP
OP
D

daniejd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a lot of choices, from symphyllias, lobos, trachys... Most of those will do fine on a sand bed or slightly raised up on a rock ledge
You've got a lot of choices, from symphyllias, lobos, trachys... Most of those will do fine on a sand bed or slightly raised up on a rock ledge.
Thank you, after researching them, they look to be very good suggestion, and the right size! I notice they are open brain corals and I prefer the look of those to the closed brain. Do the closed brain like favites grow too large or too fast?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back