Branching Green Hammer Coral Help

Jcmcdonald89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a two headed frag from a well know local reef shop. Yesterday I introduced the coral into the tank the polyps extend and it seemed to be doing well. This morning I awoke to find the polyps either retracted or missing, this is my first LPS. Just looking for any advice or feed back.

Salinity:1.026
Temperature: 78.2

Trying to remember where I put my book with the other parameters

20191207_155003.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like polyp bailout. Gonna need more info for others to help. All parameters, age of tank, lighting, live stock, etc.

OP
OP
Jcmcdonald89

Jcmcdonald89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 50 gallon fussion tank, roughly 2 years old, single blue devil damsel, mix of snails and hermits, one sand sifting starfish, 20 or so Kenya trees, gsp rock, zoas, lights are led, par is about 120 where it sits(exact stats are in my book that I have yet to locate)

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting some test kits (red sea, salifert) and getting some numbers for what I was asking earlier. Also ph. Do you know the name of the LED. It will help to see what spectrum you're at as well

OP
OP
Jcmcdonald89

Jcmcdonald89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is the Current Orbit Marine IC PRO LED Reef Aquarium Dual Light System. I generally have the local fish shop do the testing because I am partly color blind which effects my ability to read certain test. They just write everything down for me, unfortunately I may have left the book there. Have my brother on his way to help me with the testing. will post results ASAP.

OP
OP
Jcmcdonald89

Jcmcdonald89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can read these things
Temperature: 78°
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 8.2
Specific Gravity: 1.026
Alkalinity: between 8.4ish
Phosphate: ?
Calcium: 460
Magnesium: 1340

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Param #s look good but according to your pics it does look like polyp bailout. I've had a few do that, the shock of param changes literally causes the head(s) float away.

OP
OP
Jcmcdonald89

Jcmcdonald89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp bailout was mentioned earlier and I was curious. I am fairly relentless on keeping water parameters in check. Did the ones that did it to you recover from the shock? Do I need to try and locate the old heads?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp bailout was mentioned earlier and I was curious. I am fairly relentless on keeping water parameters in check. Did the ones that did it to you recover from the shock? Do I need to try and locate the old heads?

I found once the heads bail - it's game over for them. I've never had one survive.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other coral do you have in the tank? Any other LpS? I wonder what your lfs Params are and if it could have been shock. That’s really strange for it to bail in that short of time.

OP
OP
Jcmcdonald89

Jcmcdonald89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya trees, multiple zoa and gsp colonies, green polyp toadstools, one mushroom group.
Think that's it.

As far as his parameters, not sure. He uses VIPARSPECTRA lights on the particular tank that these came out of. Several feet above it and almost always in a heavy blue

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some flesh on the right side still inside of it. I had a hammer grow back from what looked like bare dead skeleton and fully recover after an alk overdose. I would probably put it in a low light area. Sometimes miracles happen.

Also have you seen those large white hermits bothering it at all?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back