Branching zoa’s

  • Thread starter Thread starter NE reefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NE reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2022
Messages
213
Reaction score
99
Location
Maine
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swung past my LFS on the way home today and they had what looks like branching zoa’s . Looked like this coral was laying down (vertical and horizontal) tube like growths with traditional looking zoa’s growing off the structure. Has anyone seen these before?
 
Didn’t think to take one. I’ll head back to the store tomorrow. Probably pick it up if it’s still available. I’d love to get some more info before I bring it home. I’ll update you tomorrow
 
Sometimes they can look branches like this if they are not receiving enough light , they extend. I find this with my zoas on the sand bed. Is this what you mean ? Otherwise it was just zoas on a dead skeleton or rock

6B9DD70D-FC36-40D8-B2B9-7BD2BF703E5B.png
 
Were they snake polyps (Isaurus tuberculatus)? Sounds familiar.

1685757004312.png

(Photo credit to Live Aquaria)

Some of them have bumpy tubes.

1685757071109.png


They could also have just been regular zoas reaching for light.
 
Swung past my LFS on the way home today and they had what looks like branching zoa’s . Looked like this coral was laying down (vertical and horizontal) tube like growths with traditional looking zoa’s growing off the structure. Has anyone seen these before?
Zoas are a soft coral and do not have a skeleton. Either they are zoas just growing on something or they are just stretching to get more light (both of which were mentioned already). It’s not uncommon for them to stretch out like that since many stores don’t have adequate lighting for coral.
 
Thank you for the info. I’ll post a picture later if I’m able to get them
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new