For the Acropora Professionals

Acro Junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
1,385
Reaction score
2,578
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello!

I had an interesting idea and wanted to get everyone’s thoughts.

From what I’ve observed and what I’ve heard from other reefers many tenuis Acropora seem to prioritize encrusting the base and sending out new branches rather than continuing to grow from the original cut nub.

That got me wondering: if that’s the case, would there be any benefit to making a partial cut (around ¾ of the way through) on a Walt Disney frag and then laying it on its side to encourage faster encrustation and potentially create more branching points?

Has anyone experimented with something like this or seen it done before?

IMG_0873.jpeg
 
Hello!

I had an interesting idea and wanted to get everyone’s thoughts.

From what I’ve observed and what I’ve heard from other reefers many tenuis Acropora seem to prioritize encrusting the base and sending out new branches rather than continuing to grow from the original cut nub.

That got me wondering: if that’s the case, would there be any benefit to making a partial cut (around ¾ of the way through) on a Walt Disney frag and then laying it on its side to encourage faster encrustation and potentially create more branching points?

Has anyone experimented with something like this or seen it done before?

IMG_0873.jpeg
Yup. I do this often. Works well for me with all acros, not just Tenuis.
 
I have laid them sideways before. Some grow upwards some encrust more. Sometimes snipping the top starts new growth. Some take more time than others.
One of my favotite things to do is put a nub of green slimer on the back wall and let it do its thing.
This grew from a eraser nub that I broke off when doing maintenance.
Took about 1.5 years to get to this and its still growing.
20260517_135756.jpg
 
Back in the day I did snip off the tip of Acropora, and I did place frags horizontally. Red Planet and Valida are fast growers, and both appeared to show new sprouts post snip.
It's definitely something to play around with.
 
Here is the nub I put on the back wall. It will be 2 in September.
I glued the plug to the wall.
20240825_133156.jpg

The old 120 with coral on the corner overflow.
20211214_155023.jpg
So it is a lucrative and viable thing to do to newer frags! Thank you!
 
I don't have either of them anymore but I did this with a Pink Cadillac and an Acroberry. Both encrusted and grew quite interestingly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new