Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I stopped the alerts for this thread. The chimes on my phone and my desk top were driving me crazy! Don't y'all have to work sometimes? ;Meh;Wacky:rolleyes:;) Well carry on....not that you need my permission or whatever. Have a great day all...I will check in later to see how much work y'all got done.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I stopped the alerts for this thread. The chimes on my phone and my desk top were driving me crazy! Don't y'all have to work sometimes? ;Meh;Wacky:rolleyes:;) Well carry on....not that you need my permission or whatever. Have a great day all...I will check in later to see how much work y'all got done.
Between stops I check and respond or if I'm waiting on a client.

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my contribution to the dog pictures.

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0875.JPG

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's me! I didn't think about the number of notifications. Sorry about that. Also, sorry to see about your Blenny.
Don’t apologize! 59 notifications today, I feel like social media on the phone of some popular kid in high school :)

yea..poor blenny. He had so much personality, would sit in the front of the tank and watch tv at night, always curious about everything around him :/ His name was The Night King, loved to have his picture taken just like my clownfish.
F202DD32-AD4F-4C36-85AE-56F31BA6C7B6.png

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t apologize! 59 notifications today, I feel like social media on the phone of some popular kid in high school :)

yea..poor blenny. He had so much personality, would sit in the front of the tank and watch tv at night, always curious about everything around him :/ His name was The Night King, loved to have his picture taken just like my clownfish.
Not another death?!

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha, great name for him

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think low is bad either, as long as it’s present. Nitrates were about .5. This wilsoni is the first large coral I’ve cared for and seems to be sucking a lot of nitrate up (I’ve heard from others).

The Duncan is slightly more open this morning so maybe that had something to do with it.

How low is yiurca?
That makes sense, I think of Nitrates and Phosphates for what they are...fertilizer!

and don’t tell anyone..but tested it last night at 310 with my new Salifert kit. Not sure how my SPS is growing, but clearly there is room for improvement!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, I think of Nitrates and Phosphates for what they are...fertilizer!

and don’t tell anyone..but tested it last night at 310 with my new Salifert kit. Not sure how my SPS is growing, but clearly there is room for improvement!

I think many have a wrong perception of nutrients (or maybe I do)

I believe it’s not more of an are they present or not instead of levels kind of thing.

I think corals are like dogs: they appreciate schedules and knowing what they’re going to get and the time they’re going to get it. Corals always need the big 3 as well as nitrate and phosphate. All 5 should always be present. As long as there is enough for them to pull them they’re ok. I think ranges are important as they may indicate how accessible the nutrient is I.e. a coral may detect low range and tell itself to ration the nutrient or starve itself. Or it may tell itself that the nutrient is nearing bottoming out.

When levels fall or raise slowly, the corals just know what to expect and when to expect it. People obsess over ranges but I feel like they need to obsess more over accessibility.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many have a wrong perception of nutrients (or maybe I do)

I believe it’s not more of an are they present or not instead of levels kind of thing.

I think corals are like dogs: they appreciate schedules and knowing what they’re going to get and the time they’re going to get it. Corals always need the big 3 as well as nitrate and phosphate. All 5 should always be present. As long as there is enough for them to pull them they’re ok. I think ranges are important as they may indicate how accessible the nutrient is I.e. a coral may detect low range and tell itself to ration the nutrient or starve itself. Or it may tell itself that the nutrient is nearing bottoming out.

When levels fall or raise slowly, the corals just know what to expect and when to expect it. People obsess over ranges but I feel like they need to obsess more over accessibility.
Oh absolutely, corals are animals. But I kinda think of them as plants, because I’m good at keeping plants alive and helped my dad keep a garden growing up. (It’s something I already understood). I was only half joking about fertilizer- nitrates and phosphates are what helps the grass grow! But, just like in the reef tank, you don’t want to use too much, however some is better than none at all.

there is absolutely a large range that your nutrients can fall into while still keeping a successful tank, but there is of course some “optimum” numbers that achieve the best growth and coloration. My Ca being so much lower than NSW is obviously still growing my SPS, after all there IS available calcium, just not as much as I would like. Consistency is almost always for the best, (unless you’re consistently doing something wrong!) and I think at the end of the day is more important than constant swings trying to chase a number.

At least, that’s my understanding of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back