mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should!
Forgot to show my new octospawn:
IMG_4811.JPG

And, it's a miracle!! When I put the lighting to ~10k Kelvin, Bob came out! Now I know what he likes:
IMG_4813.JPG

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, to anyone who has a gist, do the specific Kelvin temperatures ideal for specific corals relate to how close they are naturally found near the surface? I.e. 10,000 would be closer while 20,000 would be further. Also, would coral used to a 20K spectrum bleach in the same intensity 10K because the chlorophyll pigments aren't used those intense other spectrums?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, to anyone who has a gist, do the specific Kelvin temperatures ideal for specific corals relate to how close they are naturally found near the surface? I.e. 10,000 would be closer while 20,000 would be further. Also, would coral used to a 20K spectrum bleach in the same intensity 10K because the chlorophyll pigments aren't used those intense other spectrums?

Ok so from my understanding kelvin rating doesn’t mater too much as that is just the color temperature. I believe nanometer matters more for coral. Not 100% sure tho

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanometers are pretty much the measurement of spectrum, as is kelvin. For example, while I don't believe there is any transparent correlation that can functionally relate the two, I do know that 2700k would translate to about 1070nm. But when I asked about kelvin I'm just asking about overall spectrum.
Edit: seems to me that nm focuses more on black body radiation than kelvin. But I don't really know much about either.

Last edited:

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never the best with this stuff in school, but I was always obsessed with finding the spectrum closest to "black" light. Anways, I digress.
What I meant to ask was, given the stronger spectrum of blues deeper, and "whiter" spectrums more prevailent up top, would it be safe to assume that corals that like "whiter" more inclusive spectrums are closer to the surface while ones that would be down more prefer deep blues? I probably already know the answer, but hey, I like diverse opinions.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I guess it's back to my mech and special relativity course I took because I have a death wish..! ;Dead

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great! You'll have to post some pics when you get it.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr;
I have a serious ache in my back from stooping over my little reef today. I tried to secure things and take things off of plugs, to the rocks, with epoxy. It was tedious, sucked butt and smelled like it too... :mad: ;Rage
{in hindsight, I also should not have used a knife that was rusted. Think I've got tetanus}
I, in a moment of exasperation, clumsily and accidentally broke a head of my octospawn down to a 2/3 semicircle, splitting off like a third of its outer skeleton. What a pain, don't even know if it's gonna come out okay.

((What I did is make a mold of a covering and super glue it to either side of the skeleton, forming a ragtag little cover to compensate for its lost skeleton, courtesy of me ;Sour))

Anyway, I just sat down in my bed and turned up the All Blues on my radion. I was taken aback due to how awesome it looked. After all that frustration, I think it payed off. Now I've got 14 heads of euphyllia (if you count Duncan, then 19...dunno their classification) on a rock about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide in a 5 gallon pico. My new and improved euphy garden is back, yay!

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes me a while...
Must be due to the insomnia.
;Hilarious

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleep on average an hour...

...a week? You poor souls. Thank god I'm not alone.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, look at that. It's nearly 11:15. Time for another Monster round. I'll wash it down with some cold pizza and Advil. Followed by
rum. Lots and lots of rum.
Put me outta my misery.
That's enough of my dead--pan humor.;Woot

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back