Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago there was a waterfall tank at a fancy restaurant in Dallas.

That thing was unreal. It was about 6ft tall. The drop off part (about 18 inches) was out of the wall and then there was probably three feet of the tank about 3 feet tall in the wall. It was about 8 feet long.

It was one of the most impressive freshwater tanks I ever saw. Yes, my friends, freshwater.... not reef!

I went back to Dallas a couple years later and there was a different restaurant there with no tank. :(

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely paint the back. I used a roller and black latex paint on my old 75 and 140. Put on 5-6 coats and it lasted more than 12 years in the 140 with nary a scratch (and my tank was not against a wall). I tried black poster board years ago, but water drips really make it look bad over time.

My ReefSavvy came with a really thick black film on it. I like blue backgrounds too, but black helps make internal equipment like wave makers / powerheads less of a distraction. I ran 1” black PVC down the back wall of my 140 (closed loop) and you wouldn’t really see it unless you were looking for it.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer blue, but as @Fin said, black hides equipment. I used rustoleum rolled on because we can't use latex paint in the house unless Tim leaves for a week. ;) (Tim's allergy to it is so bad we have to keep $400 worth of epi pens in the house and school) The rustoleum on glass sucks! Everything scratches it and it took 3 coats to cover. I wish I would have painted with spray paint before we brought it inside but it was winter.

That being said, my fiji cube overflow and jebao powerheads almost disappear against it.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my "current" attempt to use a blue background on a nano that I DIY'd. Experimental tank. :)

moreholes10-jpg.917652

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO!!!!

What kind of cover? What is the grid spacing?

Dart fish will find the smallest stinking hole, I swear. I am so sorry.

It happens. I’m adding the thing used for windows to the covers now. So holes will from 1/4 inch to around 5mm

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted the back of my freshwater with spray paint. A dark coffee brown. Taped up the trim and the side glass and went to town. Put on 3 or 4 coats to make sure it was thick and wouldn't peel or scratch easily. I probably went overboard, but it looks nice. I believe I used Rustoleum Paint+Primer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back