Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stationed there (Oahu) in the Army. We took care of a lot of island kids all the way to Palau.
Loved the pineapple so much I don’t like any other now!
Nice, I want to go to Hawaii one day... gotta get over the whole flying thing tho. Plus I don't think I'd get along with TSA all too well....

I hear Key West is nice, and I can drive there!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I want to go to Hawaii one day... gotta get over the whole flying thing tho. Plus I don't think I'd get along with TSA all too well....

I hear Key West is nice, and I can drive there!
I was in Key West between Christmas and New Years this year. Most of it feels like overcrowded tourist traps with crazy long waits for alcohol. I'm sure it would be much better had there had not been a cruise ship or 2 pulled in at the time. I preferred some of the local joints in between Key Largo and Key West (like Marathon) better. Traffic was a bear... spent almost 2 hours going 20 miles at one point. And as far as scenery goes, it is no where near as nice as Hawaii. Now the weather in Key West in December? Absolutely delightful.
You would get much closer to Hawaii by hoping on a cruise ship to the Carribean than by going to Key West imo. Still won't compare because the volcanic ridges are much less defined but the water in the Caribbean is more interesting. Hawaii gets deep quick so doesn't have as many shades of blue/green.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in Key West between Christmas and New Years this year. Most of it feels like overcrowded tourist traps with crazy long waits for alcohol. I'm sure it would be much better had there had not been a cruise ship or 2 pulled in at the time. I preferred some of the local joints in between Key Largo and Key West (like Marathon) better. Traffic was a bear... spent almost 2 hours going 20 miles at one point. And as far as scenery goes, it is no where near as nice as Hawaii. Now the weather in Key West in December? Absolutely delightful.
You would get much closer to Hawaii by hoping on a cruise ship to the Carribean than by going to Key West imo. Still won't compare because the volcanic ridges are much less defined but the water in the Caribbean is more interesting. Hawaii gets deep quick so doesn't have as many shades of blue/green.

I have a friend who lives in south Florida. He grew up on Key Largo. I'm sure he could show me the off the beaten path places.

I might go on a cruise some day. Several leave out of Charleston, which is only a 2 hour drive. Jacksonville, I think is also a cruise ship port and only 5 hours away. I love all the pictures of the Caribbean islands.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who lives in south Florida. He grew up on Key Largo. I'm sure he could show me the off the beaten path places.

I might go on a cruise some day. Several leave out of Charleston, which is only a 2 hour drive. Jacksonville, I think is also a cruise ship port and only 5 hours away. I love all the pictures of the Caribbean islands.
They have cruises to Hawaii as well.. it just takes awhile.. lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would take a LONG while to get there leaving from the east coast so he doesn't have to fly! :p

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like just last night, someone was asking why the hobby was getting more expensive and I was explaining that I thought it was because of the laws of supply and demand. The hobby is growing, more people are interested in salt water tanks because advances in the industry have made it easier to keep one. More people are buying tanks and equipment, which means demand is up. High demand, high cost.

Then some fool comes in and tries to start an arguement with me that there is actually no law that states companies have to raise prices because more people are buying a product.
This is hilarious, I am a &*$ hole and would have argued just for my own enjoyment.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would take a LONG while to get there leaving from the east coast so he doesn't have to fly! :p
Is Panama a tourist destination? Are cruise ships even narrow enough to fit thru the canal? Going all the way around might take more than a LONG while.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Panama a tourist destination? Are cruise ships even narrow enough to fit thru the canal? Going all the way around might take more than a LONG while.
Pretty sure they go through the canal ! I had someone I knew who went once from the east coast. I think it was a month long cruise lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are cruises that go through the Panama Canal. Normally they take 14+ days and are very expensive. No doubt the cruise lines pass the cost of going through the canal to the customers (and it costs A LOT to pay the canal fees). And they don't get anywhere close to Hawaii!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are cruises that go through the Panama Canal. Normally they take 14+ days and are very expensive. No doubt the cruise lines pass the cost of going through the canal to the customers (and it costs A LOT to pay the canal fees). And they don't get anywhere close to Hawaii!

Hawaii doesn't have pirates and rum tho... the Bahamas does.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii doesn't have pirates and rum tho... the Bahamas does.
That's a fact. Cozumel has the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I took this picture there on a perfect day.
Cozumel.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fact. Cozumel has the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. I took this picture there on a perfect day.
Cozumel.jpg
Something David Attenborough taught me...

Did you know palm trees have only been innthe Caribbean for around 800 years or so. He said coconuts floated from Indonesia and other Pacific islands and eventually made their way to the Caribbean. Once they landed on an area that was almost identical to the other side of the world where they are native, the took root and grew.

It amazed me that they could float on the currents that long and still be able to take root and grow.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something David Attenborough taught me...

Did you know palm trees have only been innthe Caribbean for around 800 years or so. He said coconuts floated from Indonesia and other Pacific islands and eventually made their way to the Caribbean. Once they landed on an area that was almost identical to the other side of the world where they are native, the took root and grew.

It amazed me that they could float on the currents that long and still be able to take root and grow.
I had no idea. That is shocking!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right on both

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya. The only people that make me crazy are the people with struggling tanks that have the trifecta; tap water, super cheap bad lights, hob filter. They just don’t listen to logic ime, lol.
Shh I use tap water cheap lights and hob filter for one of my sw tanks.
It is a fowlr so that makes a huge difference.

My reef I use ro water, canister and coralife 2 t5 and a fluval forth gen led. It is a softy tank.

My buddy and I are setting up a hob filter and skimmer. He'll have decent lights and rodi water. It will be a softy tank as well.

The water and lights no way around them.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shh I use tap water cheap lights and hob filter for one of my sw tanks.
It is a fowlr so that makes a huge difference.

My reef I use ro water, canister and coralife 2 t5 and a fluval forth gen led. It is a softy tank.

My buddy and I are setting up a hob filter and skimmer. He'll have decent lights and rodi water. It will be a softy tank as well.

The water and lights no way around them.

Haha, I understand. When I was a kid I had a pond tank. I think I've talked about this thing. It was all pond fish from the one down the road from my parents neighborhood. Plants, fish, bugs, frogs, crawfish, sirens... ever seen a siren? Really cool looking, take the front half of an axolotl and stick the back half of an eel on it.

Anyway, it ran on an under gravel filter driven by an air pump and tap water with no conditioner. I probably never did a water change until the tank water was green as pea soup, then I pulled it all out in about a 90% WC, with tap water. One thing I never did was remove the under gravel filter until I took the tank down. The thing is, all the fish I had thrived. I learned how to observe different fish and their behaviors in that tank.

Now I wanna set up another pond tank... hahaha. I do have that empty 40b...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I understand. When I was a kid I had a pond tank. I think I've talked about this thing. It was all pond fish from the one down the road from my parents neighborhood. Plants, fish, bugs, frogs, crawfish, sirens... ever seen a siren? Really cool looking, take the front half of an axolotl and stick the back half of an eel on it.

Anyway, it ran on an under gravel filter driven by an air pump and tap water with no conditioner. I probably never did a water change until the tank water was green as pea soup, then I pulled it all out in about a 90% WC, with tap water. One thing I never did was remove the under gravel filter until I took the tank down. The thing is, all the fish I had thrived. I learned how to observe different fish and their behaviors in that tank.

Now I wanna set up another pond tank... hahaha. I do have that empty 40b...
That sounds incredible!!! I want one!!

@sfin52 haha I hear ya. When all 3 are combined things get dicey, lol.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back