Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to saltwater. My son got an 8 gallon bio cube. I know this is too small, but I promised I'd try. I have 1 piece of dead coral for decor and that's it. We hope to have 2 tiny fish and maybe 2 shrimp. We also like hermit crabs. What equipment, substrate would you guys suggest? I'd like to use easy (forgiving) live macro algae to help balance this tank. Please be kind with responses. I have been called names elsewhere and was referred here to learn.
You can easily find the answers you need all in one place either through the "unhelpful" LFS or by searching a biocube build blog. Your livestock wish list is not that demanding (save the shrimp), so the setup you want should not force you to spend tons of money i.e. skimmers, ATO etc. until you like what you are doing and want to progress to the next more expensive level of reefing. If your 8 gal biocube is NOT already an AIO=all in one, then you may consider purchasing an all in one and use your cube for something else (QT=quarantine). There are many mistakes made with starting up saltwater tanks some of which would turn you away from the hobby altogether (1) spending a lot on equipment only to find you're system is inadequate or even overkill for your needs (2) not getting the correct setup initially for what you want to do, it doesn't work and thereby the frustration vs cost ratio becomes so out of balance that you give up (3) not enough research on your part to start and continue the hobby successfully is done (this point was highlighted on and earlier forum as one of the 3 most common mistakes made). If you remember one and only one thing, patience is the key to aquarium success...if you don't practice some restraint and patience you will not be successful. This especially becomes true with the "cycle" requirements for a new setup. Look for saltwater tank cycling within this R2R site and determine how long you can stand to cycle (patience) without livestock to ensure that your's have a fighting chance of survival when you do start purchasing them. The ranges I have found are from one month to 6 months prior to stocking the tank with livestock. I am not an expert by any means, but R2R is loaded with them. With careful selection, you can find the informed answers you are looking for. Be careful of ALL advise as there are some members in any forum that although having good intentions are not as informed as they present themselves to be. A rule of thumb I read here, was trust no advice if you have not seen their tank. Seems reasonable. Added a pic of mine at 8 months. It is now a year, some of the corals have left me, most of them are overgrowing my 32 biocube AIO. Shortly after purchasing, I upgraded lights to steve's leds, return pump, bought "In-Tank refugium and filter tray", battery backup, MP40 circulation power head. I am happy with the results but wish I went bigger from the start. Who would know?

Attachments

• NOV_21_2018.jpg
    NOV_21_2018.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color are yours?:p

Right now they are flesh color. However, if I can get my mileage ramped up to where I used to be, they'll become navy blue. More on this at a later time.

I am heading for my monthly mental health check now. Anything all of you fine folks think I should address? I mean, other than being a little bit off!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heading for my monthly mental health check now. Anything all of you fine folks think I should address? I mean, other than being a little bit off!
I think you should talk about the desire for navy blue nails. Not that I am judging.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right now they are flesh color. However, if I can get my mileage ramped up to where I used to be, they'll become navy blue. More on this at a later time.

I love your honesty. I just smiled.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just tell the therapist you are a reefer. But then that is only if you want mental health help. lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color or color combo should I use??
I believe hi viz colors come in Yellow, green, orange, pink, red.
IMG_20190717_093956.jpg
So cool where did you get that.
so maybe clear coat it so it doesnt rust from salt evap?
Yes. The shimmer and lighting from the tank will look great on it.
Agree leave it and add a clear coat. If you have a place that you can have it powder coated even better

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it at a carshow, but the company has a website if you're interested in a metal art sign of your own liking.

my next one will be aztec fish

Last edited:

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the main reason for a 80% water change in my tank was not just for rescape but also my nem didn’t look good. Just got home. Lights are on. And my nem looks so much better than it did. #road2recovery
08782cdea70fefac30cc5e1e64557f14.jpg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? Navy is a neutral. It isn't season limited either. I think it's a good choice. A classic.

Unless it’s from lack of oxygen or the repetitive pounding of the pavement and the shoe and they all fall off. Although once a year or two ago my brother fell asleep at our annual family get together in Pgh and I painted his toenails pink. He didn’t notice them until after a round of gold with a potential client the next day at the country club!!! Still hasn’t gotten me back!!

Back