Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like I go out to pasture on January 1st. Had a talk with my boss today and let him know I would be retiring at the end of December. Kinda felt a little different than I thought it would - more like jumping off a bridge without a bungee cord attached. I figure I can sell unused aquarium equipment and live for about a year off of that alone. :)
You can always be a full time pirate if the retirement gig gets too slow for ya:p!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like I go out to pasture on January 1st. Had a talk with my boss today and let him know I would be retiring at the end of December. Kinda felt a little different than I thought it would - more like jumping off a bridge without a bungee cord attached. I figure I can sell unused aquarium equipment and live for about a year off of that alone. :)
Retirement... what's that? I'm looking at 26 more years.

Congrats tho, enjoy it!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Getting knocked up was not something I had to train for :)
Wait, is there a training center for that. I am about to have a lot of free time. Maybe they need an old instructor. Thinking outside the box. Hahaha.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% understand that. I think when you are really good at what you do, they keep adding to the pile because you CAN do it. I find a lot of the younger folks have no drive or work ethic. Nothing works well with a bunch of weak links.
That is not an understatement. In my industry I am the younger guy in the shop, and I am 38. There is a huge need for hard working, fast paced auto-body techs. The job pays very well 3 to 5 years after starting a paid apprenticeship (6 figures very possible) and we cant get anyone to do it. Its skilled labor in the elements and performance based pay, and newer generations dont want to do it.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not an understatement. In my industry I am the younger guy in the shop, and I am 38. There is a huge need for hard working, fast paced auto-body techs. The job pays very well 3 to 5 years after starting a paid apprenticeship (6 figures very possible) and we cant get anyone to do it. Its skilled labor in the elements and performance based pay, and newer generations dont want to do it.
It's not just auto body, it's all blue collar jobs out there. Lots of shortages all over the country for skilled manual labor and kids dont want anything to do with it. Paid apprenticeships, making more money right out the gate than most people 10 years after getting a 4 year degree and no school debt. I don't understand it.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how schools are now, but I was taking shop classes in the 8th grade. Not everyone is cut out for college. If kids were stimulated and exposed to trades in school, things might be different.

My younger cousin had a learning disability. The school counselors told my aunt and uncle that he would not be college material (this was 30 years ago). So he became a painter in the auto repair industry. Funny that he was also smart enough to get into flipping houses and now lives in the nicest house in the family. :)

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_20190822_100149444.jpg

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just auto body, it's all blue collar jobs out there. Lots of shortages all over the country for skilled manual labor and kids dont want anything to do with it. Paid apprenticeships, making more money right out the gate than most people 10 years after getting a 4 year degree and no school debt. I don't understand it.
I have heard that people spend as much time paying off school loans as homes. Its crazy. Luckily the company I work for is trying to fix the issue and help veterans at the same time. They started a program that welcomes veterans who are in need of a career to come work with some of our top auto body guys. Its a paid apprenticeship, but they are paying better than a civilian coming in on the ground floor and they are also buying a Snap-On box filled with the basic tools needed to do the job. Usually a person would have to slowly acquire their own tools. I am hopeful that it fills the gap.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how schools are now, but I was taking shop classes in the 8th grade. Not everyone is cut out for college. If kids were stimulated and exposed to trades in school, things might be different.

My younger cousin had a learning disability. The school counselors told my aunt and uncle that he would not be college material (this was 30 years ago). So he became a painter in the auto repair industry. Funny that he was also smart enough to get into flipping houses and now lives in the nicest house in the family. :)
They push CP(college prep) and AP(advanced placement) classes and even have some classes where the advanced kids can get college credit or even attend college classes such as Math and English 101...

When I was in school, kids that went to ATEC(Applied Technology Education Campus, it was the vocational school for the county) were looked down on as being the dumb kids, or the ones with behavior problems. I went for computer repair technology and networking, far from "dumb kid" courses. Went to a technical college for automotive repair. Funny, I dont use any of it now, I'm into power plant operations. The auto repair classes and work experience did help me get a foot in the door tho.

I honestly think it's a society problem we have now, and have had for a while. Imagine a popular sitcom on prime time TV. Now imagine the plumber, or the cable man, or the auto mechanic. Is he dirty, unshaven, pants hanging below his butt with his crack showing, has a speech impediment or maybe isn't all that bright and they show makes fun of him? There is our skilled labor gap...

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They push CP(college prep) and AP(advanced placement) classes and even have some classes where the advanced kids can get college credit or even attend college classes such as Math and English 101...

When I was in school, kids that went to ATEC(Applied Technology Education Campus, it was the vocational school for the county) were looked down on as being the dumb kids, or the ones with behavior problems. I went for computer repair technology and networking, far from "dumb kid" courses. Went to a technical college for automotive repair. Funny, I dont use any of it now, I'm into power plant operations. The auto repair classes and work experience did help me get a foot in the door tho.

I honestly think it's a society problem we have now, and have had for a while. Imagine a popular sitcom on prime time TV. Now imagine the plumber, or the cable man, or the auto mechanic. Is he dirty, unshaven, pants hanging below his butt with his crack showing, has a speech impediment or maybe isn't all that bright and they show makes fun of him? There is our skilled labor gap...
Well, to be fair, I am currently dirty, have not shaven in a couple of days, frequently have a case of crack poking out when i bend over, and not the brightest. Lol!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did y'all notice the big nem in the back? I call it Black Swan. Lol.
Just barely see it. My lfs was selling off his black widow nems (i think thats the name). I wanted to get one, but they were huge and I think I am still too novice to take care of a nem. The black ones look very cool though

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My brother was told he wouldn't amount to much, didn't pass high school or anything. Now he runs his own drywall company, owns one house and just bought land to build a second one. Funny how things work out.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, to be fair, I am currently dirty, have not shaven in a couple of days, frequently have a case of crack poking out when i bend over, and not the brightest. Lol!
Dang, I feel like I'm looking in a mirror. ;Hilarious

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother was told he wouldn't amount to much, didn't pass high school or anything. Now he runs his own drywall company, owns one house and just bought land to build a second one. Funny how things work out.
you guys have to realize that while we (younger generations im turning 22 on wednesday) all we heard in school was get a degree or youll be homeless we werent really taught manual labor jobs and tech school careers were a good and viable career choice they dont tell us that growing up its all "go to university or ur toast kid"

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I work for as a commercial pest control tech. I dont make six figures but I am well paid. I also have a a degree in business and a year in theology. I kill bugs and looked down at because of the image of exterminators. For a while I was almost Embarrassed to be an bug guy. Now I embrace it.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for as a commercial pest control tech. I dont make six figures but I am well paid. I also have a a degree in business and a year in theology. I kill bugs and looked down at because of the image of exterminators. For a while I was almost Embarrassed to be an bug guy. Now I embrace it.
dude youre a ****** theres no way i could deal with all those bugs just the thought makes my skin crawl ;Hurting

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back