Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to saltwater. My son got an 8 gallon bio cube. I know this is too small, but I promised I'd try. I have 1 piece of dead coral for decor and that's it. We hope to have 2 tiny fish and maybe 2 shrimp. We also like hermit crabs. What equipment, substrate would you guys suggest? I'd like to use easy (forgiving) live macro algae to help balance this tank. Please be kind with responses. I have been called names elsewhere and was referred here to learn.

I am also new to saltwater but it’s pretty easy to find good information here and on YouTube. I really like the channel by Bulk Reef Supply because they use really accurate tools to answer questions. The first step would be to dose your tank with any respectable saltwater nitrifying bacteria so that the bacteria is able to break down the ammonia produced by the fish. Ammonia can be very toxic to your tank. Until your bacteria is matured, I’d recommend doing weekly 1-2gallon water changes. If your coral is dead it should be removed from the tank so that the decomposition doesn’t overload your tank with ammonia that can kill your fish. There’s nothing wrong with a small tank, we all have to start somewhere! Welcome to R2R!!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread was on the home page, I just now saw the date. I didn’t realize it was from 2017?

Ohhh don't take offense to @Musovski seriously he's just Jelly of where I live right now cause we just got a nice powder dusting of the good stuff. ;) :p

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh don't take offense to @Musovski seriously he's just Jelly of where I live right now cause we just got a nice powder dusting of the good stuff. ;) :p
i actually really am, winter is my favorite season. I love snow and real cold weather.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back