Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked pH since May.
constant temp then salinity and ALK once a week.
Everything is happy and growing. Only thing I can't keep is SPS. IMO I'm not sure how much faster or larger corals grow dosing all that stuff but it's gotta be marginal, mine grow fine without. Seems like a lot of work, time, money for that marginal growth. Plus when I started reefing, I was told by a seasoned reefer the sooner you have a fully grown out tank the sooner your looking at a tank you can't do much with, maybe start another tank etc. Enjoy watching the tank slowly fill out and progress.

honestly, I just really like interacting with my tank and feeling like I’m doing something. I work from home and sit beside it most of the day, and will absolutely be upgrading when the time comes! However, I keep a really difficult Goni and it needs constant feedings, the rest of the tank is just getting lucky that I made an impulse buy ;)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cleaner shrimp will methodically find and consume any and all extra reef roids. To the point that I can’t target feed or he will attack my corals! He’s an absolute cockroach and annoys the heck out of me (he is FOREVER messing with my Goni) but is so useful I tolerate him. Also singlehandedly ended an ich outbreak when I first got fish.

I need to get some then. I’d love to continue feeding my cloves and stuff.

I appreciate the recommendation!

Any specific shrimp you’d recommend?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, I just really like interacting with my tank and feeling like I’m doing something. I work from home and sit beside it most of the day, and will absolutely be upgrading when the time comes! However, I keep a really difficult Goni and it needs constant feedings, the rest of the tank is just getting lucky that I made an impulse buy ;)

We’re very similar in that regard. I work remotely twice a week. I just stare at this thing for hours.

I also love me new goni, I think it may be favorite frag.

How do you know if your goni likes to eat? Mine consumes foods, I think? I know it loves aminos and phytos but am not sure about target feeding. I’ve heard some bob when they actually eat the food instead of refusing it.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skunk cleaner. I liked him more when I also had a Fire Shrimp, I felt like they were both kind of wary of each other and he messed with my corals much less. But one day the fire shrimp molted and disappeared...I don’t know why. But I’m going to be getting another one! I miss that little mini lobster lol

for hermit crabs, I have the blue legged ones (I like them) and was told to stay away from the red legs.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked pH since May.
constant temp then salinity and ALK once a week.
Everything is happy and growing. Only thing I can't keep is SPS. IMO I'm not sure how much faster or larger corals grow dosing all that stuff but it's gotta be marginal, mine grow fine without. Seems like a lot of work, time, money for that marginal growth. Plus when I started reefing, I was told by a seasoned reefer the sooner you have a fully grown out tank the sooner your looking at a tank you can't do much with, maybe start another tank etc. Enjoy watching the tank slowly fill out and progress.

This is purely anecdotal, and may be because my tanks don’t have phosphates, but the moment I started dosing aminos specifically is when they all started taking off. It was a night and day difference. I didn’t have much growth for the first month and half after I began this hobby. Then as soon as I started feeding aminos and phytos everything grew like sequoias.

Everything has new heads, sps have new branches, candy canes splitting heads.

If anything, get aminos.

For brain corals, they will also have a pretty noticeable growth difference when you feed. It’s hard to get slower growing corals like acans and favias to grow without it.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skunk cleaner. I liked him more when I also had a Fire Shrimp, I felt like they were both kind of wary of each other and he messed with my corals much less. But one day the fire shrimp molted and disappeared...I don’t know why. But I’m going to be getting another one! I miss that little mini lobster lol

for hermit crabs, I have the blue legged ones (I like them) and was told to stay away from the red legs.

I’ll check out skunks and fires.

I hate my large hermits, they’re all bullies.

Mini hermits ftw.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re very similar in that regard. I work remotely twice a week. I just stare at this thing for hours.

I also love me new goni, I think it may be favorite frag.

How do you know if your goni likes to eat? Mine consumes foods, I think? I know it loves aminos and phytos but am not sure about target feeding. I’ve heard some bob when they actually eat the food instead of refusing it.

it will retract when it gets food it really likes. But it’s a different kind of “retract” than if it was irritated, it will get about 50-75% smaller as opposed to all the way back into its skeleton. If you are target feeding, be careful that you don’t blast it with flow from your syringe/turkey baster, gently let the food float onto its polyps. mine is also happiest in a very gentle flow.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will retract when it gets food it really likes. But it’s a different kind of “retract” than if it was irritated, it will get about 50-75% smaller as opposed to all the way back into its skeleton. If you are target feeding, be careful that you don’t blast it with flow from your syringe/turkey baster, gently let the food float onto its polyps. mine is also happiest in a very gentle flow.

That’s good info, I’ll keep an eye on that.

Surprisingly, mine loves stronger flow. He’s only really started to extend after I moved my Koralia to focus on him.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good info, I’ll keep an eye on that.

Surprisingly, mine loves stronger flow. He’s only really started to extend after I moved my Koralia to focus on him.
That’s interesting, I wonder if it’s a species thing or maybe just coincidence. Mine has been in the tank about 6 months, and has grown noticeably more on the the side that gets less flow.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, I wonder if it’s a species thing or maybe just coincidence. Mine has been in the tank about 6 months, and has grown noticeably more on the the side that gets less flow.

I know the major thing with gonis is if they’re from Indonesia or Australia.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus when I started reefing, I was told by a seasoned reefer the sooner you have a fully grown out tank the sooner your looking at a tank you can't do much with, maybe start another tank etc. Enjoy watching the tank slowly fill out and progress.

This times a million. We get sooo into making everything grow crazy and we forget that watching your tank slowly grow in is the best part of the hobby. Soon enough your tank is too full, you have to frag all the time to keep things from killing each other, no room for new corals, looking at a costly upgrade and so on.

It's why I'm enjoying the "Dusty" stage I'm currently in right now so much :p

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This times a million. We get sooo into making everything grow crazy and we forget that watching your tank slowly grow in is the best part of the hobby. Soon enough your tank is too full, you have to frag all the time to keep things from killing each other, no room for new corals, looking at a costly upgrade and so on.

It's why I'm enjoying the "Dusty" stage I'm currently in right now so much :p
He equated it to having kids and skipping their childhood. what's the point?

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to get my kids out of the house as soon as possible when I have them.
I'd wait to have one or some until you make that decision....I used to say the same.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's such a trip!!
My 9 year old digs reefing and wants to test alk everyday.
She is just like I was at that age....PIA
My mom used to say it all the time growing up, "can't wait til you have kids gonna be just like you and you're screwed, payback!!"
Man she wasn't kiddin but what a blast!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back