Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am brand new to saltwater. My son got an 8 gallon bio cube. I know this is too small, but I promised I'd try. I have 1 piece of dead coral for decor and that's it. We hope to have 2 tiny fish and maybe 2 shrimp. We also like hermit crabs. What equipment, substrate would you guys suggest? I'd like to use easy (forgiving) live macro algae to help balance this tank. Please be kind with responses. I have been called names elsewhere and was referred here to learn.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am brand new to saltwater. My son got an 8 gallon bio cube. I know this is too small, but I promised I'd try. I have 1 piece of dead coral for decor and that's it. We hope to have 2 tiny fish and maybe 2 shrimp. We also like hermit crabs. What equipment, substrate would you guys suggest? I'd like to use easy (forgiving) live macro algae to help balance this tank. Please be kind with responses. I have been called names elsewhere and was referred here to learn.
Maybe two clownfish with a refugium in the back

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my Elfster list.

I've been thinking. What about a pico fuge? A beautiful one. Maybe a CPR small?
I did think about doing the Pico with no equipment as an NPS tank. I used to have the small CPR, but gave it away. The weight concerned me on a rimless tank.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does cool colored coral and warm colored fish. I wanna send him a bright orange plate to shake up the balance! Lol
You always bring the warmth :p .

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acrylic stand under it?
I want to keep it really simple. I was wondering recently if anyone ever took a sump that was not in use and made it into a self contained refugium with no tank.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to keep it really simple. I was wondering recently if anyone ever took a sump that was not in use and made it into a self contained refugium with no tank.
Let me see if I understand. Like a heavily planted saltwater?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me see if I understand. Like a heavily planted saltwater?
The other day you were talking about that available sump. it made me think, you could set up the middle as a refugium and send the return output right back into the sock input. AIO refugium. I get bored sometimes.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The other day you were talking about that available sump. it made me think, you could set up the middle as a refugium and send the return output right back into the sock input. AIO refugium. I get bored sometimes.
Yes. @JoshH has some cool ideas on a closed loop.

Back