OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A reactor I believe is more efficient and would remove junk quicker. A bag works albeit at a slower rate. X amount of carbon removes y amount of junk either way. Some folks rather a bag for a slower change in water clarity but if ya got a holy moly got something bad going reactor will be faster
I'm trying to plan from the start on the Miracle for a Holy Crap.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin since you are going to be retired in a few days, have you thought about getting back into reef squad?
Nobody is interested in some old guy's advice. I know my wife isn't. :)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do now, but I want to plan ahead with this much water volume.
Easy: TWO bags of carbon!

there’s this really amazing SPS dominant tank on YouTube, this little Korean lady is keeping a 300g+ system and doses by hand once a day. No apex or anything, and she uses 2 panty hose to hold her carbon. Just has them floating in her sump lol

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy: TWO bags of carbon!

there’s this really amazing SPS dominant tank on YouTube, this little Korean lady is keeping a 300g+ system and doses by hand once a day. No apex or anything, and she uses 2 panty hose to hold her carbon. Just has them floating in her sump lol
I might have met her. Is she from Alabama?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a big fan of the BRS reactors, at least the way they come. I have one and took it offline. One stops up and slows down the flow to the second one. I did a really simple mod on mine and disconnected them, but leave them in the bracket. Feed each one separately. You can rotate the canister (just remove the screws and rotate 1/4 turn and put the screws back in)on the bracket and make the input on the back of each and the output on the front of each. Like this. Now you can have a valve on each one to adjust the flow needed through each reactor.

DSC00213.JPG

DSC00214.JPG

I quit using bags in my sump 20 years ago. I don't want water flowing by the media, but through the media. To each his own though. Just an old person's opinion. :)

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Magellan I can relate to her methods. I'd love to see more.
Watch that whole video! She gives me confidence, i reef just like her.

One of her points is REALLY interesting: she says (in regards to dosing once a day by hand) that she thinks it makes her corals more hardy. They will take longer to take off (after being introduced to her tank the first time) but then are more tolerant of swings because they basically get one every day.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Watch that whole video! She gives me confidence, i reef just like her.

One of her points is REALLY interesting: she says (in regards to dosing once a day by hand) that she thinks it makes her corals more hardy. They will take longer to take off (after being introduced to her tank the first time) but then are more tolerant of swings because they basically get one every day.
I actually dose by hand too. I can see her wisdom. A constant variable.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to have options with the Miracle. Andrew is more tech. I'm like you and her.
If I was away from home more often I wouldn’t have a choice, but I’m just so untrusting of automation. Every computer I’ve ever had has eventually **** the bed! I consider my ATO a necessary evil, and keep meaning to switch to a float valve rather than this electronic p.o.s. Lol

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was away from home more often I wouldn’t have a choice, but I’m just so untrusting of automation. Every computer I’ve ever had has eventually **** the bed! I consider my ATO a necessary evil, and keep meaning to switch to a float valve rather than this electronic p.o.s. Lol

dual float valves for me always

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katrina, I have never used a reactor, but when I researched them several folks said the dual was a poor idea because the flow requirements for GFO and carbon are different.

Back