Brand New Anemone-What is it?

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this for my pair of clowns I picked up yesterday. Thought it is a BTA, but now not sure from other BTA pics I’ve seen. He spent the first day wedged into a crevice in one of my live rocks. Tonite I came in from garage and he was getting blown all over the tank by my power heads. Ended up flipped upside down in the sand. Got him uprighted and turned the flow off foe a while. Fed him some Mysis and he seems happy now. Not sure if he’s attached yet. The very tips are orange/ pink looking.
BCD3ACE2-5C77-43F4-82BA-4BCE78F5D9AB.jpeg

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be a bta to me. It just does not have the "bubble" look at this time which can be normal. It will go back to being bubbly when it wants.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. He’s now moved himself into one of the caves kind of sideways:
image.jpg

Maybe he’s just finding his spot. He’s only been in the tank 36 hours. I worry about being able to feed him sideways like that. On another note, they can’t eat a fish can they? I seem to be missing a chromis...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a condylactus but can be a BTA that’s adjusting to environment

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for a bubble tip (entacmaea quadricolor). I'd give it some time as it finds it's spot in the aquarium.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They could eat a fish. Doubtful unless your fish was dying.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so as of this morning all fish present and accounted for. Must have been sleeping it off somewhere....
However, the anemone is nowhere to be found now. He's kind of big to stuff into a crevice that I couldn't see but stranger things have happened. What worries me is that I couldn't find him, but I found a "piece of meat" floating around behind the rocks. I keep a mesh guard over the powerheads so nothing gets sucked into them, but this worries me. But I don't think 6 small chromis and a Banggi cardinal could devour all the pieces of a large anemone and leave no evidence but said piece floating around. (could they?) Hopefully he'll be found when I get home.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, so as of this morning all fish present and accounted for. Must have been sleeping it off somewhere....
However, the anemone is nowhere to be found now. He's kind of big to stuff into a crevice that I couldn't see but stranger things have happened. What worries me is that I couldn't find him, but I found a "piece of meat" floating around behind the rocks. I keep a mesh guard over the powerheads so nothing gets sucked into them, but this worries me. But I don't think 6 small chromis and a Banggi cardinal could devour all the pieces of a large anemone and leave no evidence but said piece floating around. (could they?) Hopefully he'll be found when I get home.
Not unusual. I had a BTA missing for 5 weeks and came out one morning right in front of tank and has parked there and wide open

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. A small bta can literally go inside itself and be a small grey blob the size of a small rubber ball. Patience.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back