Brand new Clownfish problems

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought 2 new clownfish for my salt water tank a couple hours ago, and ever since they were in the bag they were breathing super hard. This is my first salt water tank so I’m super inexperienced in this, but I have been keeping freshwater successfully for a couple years now. So 5 hours later, one of the clownfish is acting completely normal, and the other is still breathing heavily. I read that I should do a water change due to a potential ammonia spike so I did a 40% water change and an hour later that one clown is still having trouble breathing. Also to note, the clown having difficulty breathing has a weird dip in his stomach , in fresh water usually means a internal disease of some sort. I just tried feeding them and both ate a good amount, which I assume is a good thing. I don’t know if I’m overreacting and should give it more time, or try to fix the problem now. Any suggestions would be great!

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the weird “dip” in the stomach?

E0EE0F06-F3A0-4137-8D82-5FAD6300BBFC.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact they are eating is good. Are they in a QT tank or in your DT?
I only have 1 tank ATM, other than the two clowns is a Green spotter puffer which is a brackish fish but I’ve been keeping in full marine for a while now, and it hasn’t been bugging the clowns at all. The tank is at 1022 and the temp is at 75° so the tank is good standards for both. I have a friend that kept the two together which is why I decided to get the clowns. There are no corals or anything in the tank just rock and the 3 fish

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back