Brand new peacock mantis shrimp

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought a mantis shrimp off violet aquarium and it just came in this morning. I decided to get a medium one just because and I am concerned about its health I’ll add a few photos. It is very dull in color and small also is not moving around much in the tank and is away from the rocks and next to the heater. If you see anything or have any tips it would be much appreciated.

IMG_0404.jpeg IMG_0403.jpeg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the lights and get out of his face for a while. Cool little feller, he just needs to settle in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might just need some time… do you have a pic of your enclosure? How long has it been cycling or established?
tank is pretty well established the ammonia was up a bit so I put some prime in and some more bottled bacteria I’ll keep an eye on it and more him to a different tank if I have to I really don’t want to though because it would be the sump of my mixed reef

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a peacock.

R. komaii

EDIT since I was in a rush:

Either R. Komai or R. hieroglyphica. It won't grow much bigger than thumb length.

They're an active spearer species, my R. Komaii built its home inbetween two rocks half way up the tank and made walls with sand and chips of rock. It can't chip the rock itself being a spearer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a peacock.

R. komaii

EDIT since I was in a rush:

Either R. Komai or R. hieroglyphica. It won't grow much bigger than thumb length.

They're an active spearer species, my R. Komaii built its home inbetween two rocks half way up the tank and made walls with sand and chips of rock. It can't chip the rock itself being a spearer.
Really I order a peacock mantis shrimp it looks like I have to contact someone

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I order a peacock mantis shrimp it looks like I have to contact someone

Rookie mistake: not asking for a photo when purchasing a stock image first.

Yeah sadly majority of the time retailers sell anything under the “peacock” name but they’re not always O. Scyllarus. It’s very common with LFS as well.

it’s how I got my R. Komaii two years back, sold in LFS as O. Scyllarus. If you’re still looking for O. Scyllarus id email saltybottomreef company for a photo, they’re pretty responsive ime and reputable with ids. There’s an insanely overpriced wysiwyg one on morph market.

R. Komaii is a great and kinda rare species though, they’re like a smaller p. Ciliata. You would easily find someone here that’d take it if you don’t want it over a true peacock, or find it delightful to keep in a smaller setup.

Small nitpick about the tank setup: careful with that heater, tetra heaters can be broken by smashers. Fine for spearer but smasher always that chance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
tank is pretty well established the ammonia was up a bit so I put some prime in and some more bottled bacteria I’ll keep an eye on it and more him to a different tank if I have to I really don’t want to though because it would be the sump of my mixed reef
Dont add prime which does not remove ammonia as implied but buys time until a water change. Change even a gallon or two of water which will take 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offence but if a tank is well established you should not be getting ammonia readings at all (unless something has gone badly wrong and you have a lot of die off in your tank). How long has it been cycling for?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back