Peacock Mantis Shrimp Adventures

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so excited to be a part of R2R!
After about a year of research, lurking in the forums, begging my husband and waiting for the right find, we are taking the plunge and converting our old 26 gallon freshwater to saltwater and planning it ALL around a small peacock mantis shrimp!
Don’t come for me. I have done what I feel like is extensive research, watched every video I can find, read every article I can, joined the only FB group there is and we all have to start somewhere so here I go…
After much consideration we chose to forego a sump for the moment.

Current setup:
26gal using Fluval 107, Seaclone 100 protein skimmer, Hygger Wave Maker Mini HG-951 (previously Fluval cP2 powerhead)
Caribsea live sand, Caribsea life rock and some rock previously used and dried from an old saltwater aquarium, 2 pvc curved pipes
Used Turbostart and a pinch of fish food
We have lights but will probably only use them for feeding as mantis can be sensitive to it.

Thanks to some amazing help from a member here on R2R I hope to have the tank cycled around the 10th! Hoping to welcome home our new guy shortly thereafter.

If you made it this far thanks for stickin with it and I hope to update all the ups and downs as we experience them with this awesome new addition!
#bekind

IMG_2361.jpeg IMG_2364.jpeg IMG_2362.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I ended up deciding (or depending on how you l@@k at it overthinking ) to change out the Fluval CP2 power head for a Hygger Wave Maker mini HG-951 I ordered and am so happy I did. I’ll keep the Fluval just in case I ever have any issues with the new one.

Anyone have any suggestions for placement? Should it go towards the back, middle or front of the side? All I know for sure is it needs to be at least 6” down the glass.

IMG_2380.jpeg IMG_2377.jpeg IMG_2379.jpeg IMG_2376.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following!!

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. Ive never done a species specific tank but it sounds really cool. Will follow along.

OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On todays episode of things to sit and overthink at night while waiting for your tank to cycle..
I’ve decided after some research to incorporate both the Hygger Wavemaker & Fluval CP2 similar to the diagram below. My understanding is you want the flow to be as inconsistent as possible and so far with the two running we definitely seem to get great flow in the tank with no dead spots. It may be overkill and we will remove one eventually if so but for now I think it’s perfect.
You’ll also notice we returned the Seaclone 100 protein skimmer. After many reviews on here for the “Seaclown” and seeing some really negative YouTube videos I decided to return it while I still could and put the money towards ordering the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 from Bulk Reef Supply. It should be here Monday and I think in the long run we are going to be happiest with that decision!
Stay tuned for what else I can go crazy changing or over analyzing before we actually have our mantis..

Constructive feedback is always welcome from the experts! ❤️

IMG_2385.jpeg IMG_2387.jpeg IMG_2384.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pic was IRL me waiting for our tank to finish cycling… I wish patience was a virtue of mine.
Thankfully I had just been giving it a few extra days to be safe so yesterday my girls and I couldn’t wait any longer and made a trip to our LFS for 3 tiny hermit crabs and a snail! Apparently the shop doesn’t know much more than us and we ended up with two hermits and two different snails lol.
The crabs are super tiny. If our future mantis shrimp is the bada** everyone says they are these guys will most likely end up as lunch next week. Our mantis is small still so they may be just perfect for him.
Exciting news is our new protein skimmer is arriving early and should be here tomorrow.
We hope to be able to have our new addition shipped next week!
Stay tuned and TGIF!!

IMG_2396.jpeg IMG_2428.jpeg IMG_2431.jpeg IMG_2419.jpeg IMG_2269.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was definitely fun as far as last minute touches and any changes before our mantis arrives this week!
Our new Aquamaxx 1.5 protein skimmer came (shes ugly AF but I heard she gets the job done), we added an additional curved longer PVC and some additional rocks, we did a large water change with the help of our dogs and now I think we are ready to rock!
I also purchased a small 2.5 gallon aquarium for 9.99 from Petco that we are going to use to house our live feeders. That price was a steal I think the same tank is $30 on Amazon.
I also made a trip for the first time to our local Asian grocery store and it was the most amazing place! I would be lying if part of me didn’t want to take one of the live blue crabs right home with me. Anyone else watch Leon the Lobster on YouTube?
I was able to find some clams for my mantis so I’m ready for this week.

Current inhabitants include 4 blue legged hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail and 1 cerith snail.

IMG_2490.jpeg IMG_2494.jpeg IMG_2500.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg IMG_2499.jpeg IMG_2502.jpeg IMG_2503.jpeg IMG_2504.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to beautifully clear water and a tank just waiting for its new addition.
I know it’s not much compared to so many amazing reefers on here but we are so proud of it and ready for our peacock mantis shrimp!

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2507.jpeg
    IMG_2507.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact:
The clams I bought yesterday from the market were actually alive! Opened the fridge this morning and caught them moving… sooooo in the feeding tank eh the went for the mantis! Lololol

IMG_2553.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is pretty exciting!!!
Our Peacock Mantis Shrimp is arriving tomorrow.
I’m excited and nervous all at the same time!

Attachments

• 70839154592__4357926C-4A42-4892-9927-17DDD9DCD244.jpeg
    70839154592__4357926C-4A42-4892-9927-17DDD9DCD244.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just incase anyone was looking for a clam update while we wait for our mantis today… lololol

We have 7 clams still alive and seem to be doing just fine. We steamed and froze half of them so they wouldn’t go to waste since our mantis is still small.

Our new addition is supposed to be here by noon!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ralph is doing amazing so far!
I read a previous post about how someone was regretting getting a mantis because it was never visible unless feeding. That has not been our experience at all. He eating normally and can almost always be found sticking out one of his little caves.

IMG_2663.jpeg IMG_2631.jpeg IMG_2659.jpeg

OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update! Cleaned our protein skimmer for the first time today as it was looking a little full and O-M-G I was NOT prepared for how bad that smelled!
Ralph decided to enjoy himself a ghost shrimp first thing this morning. He seems to be doing GREAT and l@@k at those little baby punchers!
IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2698.jpeg

Last edited:

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ralph is awesome!

Following with interest, I've got a QT/Observation tank that I'd love to repurpose as a mantis tank one of these days.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back