Brand New Reefer - Fluval 13.5

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally took the plunge into this new hobby and thought I would post my journey for anyone who is interested and hopefully pick up some solid advise on the way.

Equipment List:
Fluval Evo 13.5
Jecod SW2 Wavemaker
EHEIM Jager 50w Heater (middle chamber)
Removed stock filter and just added a filter pad into chamber 1.

Process:
9th June: 5kg (11lbs) of live rock and a bag of CaribSea live sand of about the same weight (10lbs) added and then filled it up with salt water from my LFS to start my cycling process.

Observations:
PH was around 8.3 on day 1.
Ammonia and Nitrite tests have so far been 0.
I've spotted a tiny snail walking around the rock, a tiny dead shrimp looking thing floating around and another unknown critter on the rock (see below pics). Along with tiny transulent fingers starting to wave on the rock.

20220612_121807.jpg 20220611_155907.jpg 20220611_155900.jpg

26th June Update: A seriou update since my first post. I had a baby girl a week ago so that has really helped with the impatience on the tank. Now I stand and stare at her instead of my empty tank!

Tank wise, I've added 2 hermits and 2 turbo snails to eat away at the diatoms and algae growing on the rock. Looking to add a small clown next week and hopefully 1 or 2 coral. Want to go with GSP but don't want it to take over my tank, any suggestions where on my scape would be a good spot?

And what other coral should I start off with?
I'm also really intruiged on having dragonsbreath macro algae in the display tank if I can get my hands on some in Northern Ireland.. thoughts?

So far I've only been testing temp, PH, Nitrite, salinity and Ammonia. Now that I'm adding corals and fish what do I need to add to the list. Presumably nitrate, but what else?
Screenshot_20220624-152800_Lightroom.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-152412_Lightroom.jpg
20220624_151907.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what will we be stocking our Fluval with?
So I've already been told by my wife a clownfish is a must. I got into the hobby for the exotic fish more than the coral so hopefully get 3, or even 4 different colourful fish if possible.

For coral I like greenery so will start there but haven't made my mind up. GSP look cool if kept tidy.

Any recommendations? If you were just starting out what direction would you take the tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've already been told by my wife a clownfish is a must. I got into the hobby for the exotic fish more than the coral so hopefully get 3, or even 4 different colourful fish if possible.

For coral I like greenery so will start there but haven't made my mind up. GSP look cool if kept tidy.
Any recommendations? If you were just starting out what direction would you take the tank?
If you're getting one clownfish, you might as well get two. There are umpteen different designer versions, so they're definitely worth checking out. Soft corals are definitely recommended to start - GSP, zoanthids, leathers. Avoid pom pom or pulsing xenias like the plague (they are a plague). Then once you've gained some experience I'd look at some LPS - things like goniopora, acans, blastos, etc.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second...you did add ammonia to start the cycle, right? It looks like you used all dry rock...

OP
OP
S

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second...you did add ammonia to start the cycle, right? It looks like you used all dry rock...
Do you know what I'm just sitting here staring at the tank thinking the same thing...

I was told it was live rock (and so no ammonia needed) and because there were little critters popping up I assumed it was.

But the rock doesn't look much like live rock does it?

It's day 6 now and I haven't seen much go on in the tank. I was told around day 10 to expect an ammonia spike so was waiting for that..

Suppose no harm in adding ammonia now anyway?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what I'm just sitting here staring at the tank thinking the same thing...

I was told it was live rock (and so no ammonia needed) and because there were little critters popping up I assumed it was.

But the rock doesn't look much like live rock does it?

It's day 6 now and I haven't seen much go on in the tank. I was told around day 10 to expect an ammonia spike so was waiting for that..

Suppose no harm in adding ammonia now anyway?
If you never added ammonia then there's none in there. Really looks like they sold you dry rock. As for the spike, that happens the instant you add the ammonia...there's no 10 day delay...not sure what they were thinking but glad I discovered your post!

OP
OP
S

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you never added ammonia then there's none in there. Really looks like they sold you dry rock. As for the spike, that happens the instant you add the ammonia...there's no 10 day delay...not sure what they were thinking but glad I discovered your post!
Lol I'd still be waiting for my spike a year down the line.

Out of interest. If it was live rock I would see Ammonia from day 1 and I'm just waiting for bacteria to establish and break it down?

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 clowns a cherub angelfish, and will be adding a yellow goby once its done with quarintine. Still looking for 1 more fish for my fluval

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I'd still be waiting for my spike a year down the line.

Out of interest. If it was live rock I would see Ammonia from day 1 and I'm just waiting for bacteria to establish and break it down?
No...live rock is rock which is colonized (established) by nitrifying bacteria which break down ammonia. Unless you added ammonia on day 1 there would be no spike. If you did decide to add ammonia on day one to make sure bacteria were established then you'd see a spike which would slowly decrease over a few days

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's bacteria in the tank, you can add some livestock. Strat slow though, I came here from fresh water and it seems to take longer in salt to balance out a cycle.
If you're getting one clownfish, you might as well get two. There are umpteen different designer versions, so they're definitely worth checking out. Soft corals are definitely recommended to start - GSP, zoanthids, leathers. Avoid pom pom or pulsing xenias like the plague (they are a plague). Then once you've gained some experience I'd look at some LPS - things like goniopora, acans, blastos, etc.
Two clowns would be great. I love mine. Second the acans (micromussa lord to be specific) and blastos. I haven't had any problems with them and my acan was the first coral to grow new polyps. Another good lps I've liked is my Duncan. Fun feeding response, cool look and has new polyps too. My only issue with it is that my clowns were bothering it. I read on here sometimes they will bother the Duncan and make it throw up, the clown will then get another meal.

You can look into a watchman goby and pistol shrimp combo too.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's bacteria in the tank, you can add some livestock. Strat slow though, I came here from fresh water and it seems to take longer in salt to balance out a cycle.

Two clowns would be great. I love mine. Second the acans (micromussa lord to be specific) and blastos. I haven't had any problems with them and my acan was the first coral to grow new polyps. Another good lps I've liked is my Duncan. Fun feeding response, cool look and has new polyps too. My only issue with it is that my clowns were bothering it. I read on here sometimes they will bother the Duncan and make it throw up, the clown will then get another meal.

He has no idea if there are bacteria in the tank or not...that's what we're discussing

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions:
1. Have I put too much livesand in?
2. I don't need to add food/ammonia/bacteria for this cycle, it should work with the bacteria from the rock/sand?
3. Should my wavemaker be on 24/7 and is the positioning OK?
4. Have I done everything OK so far and I'm just waiting for Ammonia spike and then follow the cycle from there?
1) you're fine. Not too much sand in there.
2) the bacteria needs something to eat, that would be the ammonia produced either from fish waste or dosing ammonia, the latter scares me so I stock lightly or ghost feed.
3) probably, ask someone else.
4) yep. But you will need to somehow get ammonia in the tank. I'd buy bottled bacteria and a fish or two and put them in together. An test ammonia daily with fresh salt water in reserve for a water change if it gets too high!

Edit: also know that I have enough knowledge to be dangerous; follow my advice with caution.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP if I were you, I would wait to add fish until the tank is cycled. The ammonia the fish produce burns their gills hurting them....

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or better yet, since you haven't started the cycle, why not go get some real live rock?! Real live rock from the ocean is a million times better because of all the biodiversity it contains. You can't recreate that biodiversity with dry rock....

OP
OP
S

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 clowns a cherub angelfish, and will be adding a yellow goby once its done with quarintine. Still looking for 1 more fish for my fluval
That fish combo sounds amazing. They in a 13.5? Will the tank be too small when those are fully grown?

OP
OP
S

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) you're fine. Not too much sand in there.
2) the bacteria needs something to eat, that would be the ammonia produced either from fish waste or dosing ammonia, the latter scares me so I stock lightly or ghost feed.
3) probably, ask someone else.
4) yep. But you will need to somehow get ammonia in the tank. I'd buy bottled bacteria and a fish or two and put them in together. An test ammonia daily with fresh salt water in reserve for a water change if it gets too high!

Edit: also know that I have enough knowledge to be dangerous; follow my advice with caution.
Thank you for those answers. Defo think I'll wait to add fish but sounds like my rock isn't liverock so dosing might be the way forward.

I feel like you have enough knowledge and are just winging it.. which defo sounds like a fun way of doing it!

OP
OP
S

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some good ideas in here too. I like the look of GSP but I'm scared of it taking over so blastos and acans could be the route. If clownfish stick to one part of the tank could you move the Duncan and save the pestering?

I also like the sound of goby/shrimp combo as they seem to develop an interesting relationship.

Back