Brand new to the hobby! Need advice.

Manhster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am brand spanking new to the hobby and am feeling quite overwhelmed by all the information that I am reading. I told my wife, I felt less nervous when we were having a baby!

I've read quite a bit and have watched many videos, but still feel very nervous about this adventure. I was at my local aquarium shop to get a quote on a redsea reefer 350, which I thought would be a good tank for a beginner like me, but, was give the opportunity to get something bigger and nicer. The owner of the shop tells me he just purchased a tank from one of their customers and is selling it at a good price. First, do you think I got a decent deal? I got a white redsea XXL 625 (tank, stand, ATO reservoir), 2-AI hydra 52 HD with hanging kit, 1- AI Prime fuge light with hanging kit, Cor-15 return pump, RS600 skimmer, 2-Neptune WAV pumps, UV sterilizer, Standard Apex system, Neptune MPR, and sand. The previous owner had to sell because he had to move, and the tank and all equipment is less than 1 year old. I bought all of it for $4k. It seemed like an offer I couldn't refuse.

Second, what else will I need to start? I know I'm gonna need heaters, any suggestions on which kind? I know I'm gonna need some rock. I think I'm gonna get dry rock. It seems that the advantage of live rock doesn't outweigh the risk of having hitchikers. How much rock do you think I need. The tank volume is 133g. I was thinking between 125 and 150 lbs? Am I missing anything? Should I buy a RODI system now? or wait till later?

They are delivering and setting up tank in a couple of weeks. Do they normally do the aquascaping? I guess I probably need to ask the shop. I already feel overwhelmed by the price of everything and the lack of knowledge.

Thank you in advance for any help! Wish me luck! I'm sure this won't be the last time I bother you all with questions!

Manhster

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sounds like a good deal to me and yes I would get a RODI system. It’s the basic part of running a reef tank to guarantee water quality from the start

You might find this helpful as well

and Welcome to R2R!!!

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sounds like an amazing system at a bargain price. I'd echo SPR1968 and say a RODI unit is a must. I think you might want to invest in some testing equipment (like Hanna or Salifert. Knowing what's going on with your water chemistry is one of the most critical issues when starting out. Qapla'!

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and good luck! Yes to ro/di and get a good test kit like said above. Next take a deep breath. Do your research and take it slow. Everything will work out. Your going to make mistakes we all do. And remember everyone has a different way of reefing because there is no right way!!!

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome deal. Except the return pump seems kind of small for that big of a tank I would trade it out for the COR 20. You can keep the 15 as back up for if the 20 fails.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @Manhster !!! I think that an awesome deal with all the gadgets included. An RODI system will put you in full control of your tank not only for the auto top off but also while mixing the salt. Make your Build Thread to keep record of your progress and for all of us to follow.

MR BEAN 2.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good deal. Couple great articles for setting up and beginning. Best is to decide what types of animals you want in the system and find out if compatible with each other and the size of the aquarium.
Also, get an RO/DI unit. Minimal cost to what you have got and definitely needed.
Was there a protein skimmer in that sale? If not, may want to consider one of those too.
Good luck.
Would love to see a build.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To echo others: get an RODI system. With that you will need something to store the RODI water in. I use Brute trash cans. They are food safe. So one for the RODI with an auto shut off float valve cause otherwise you will have floods.

Get another can to mix saltwater in. And a couple of powerheads for water movement to dissolve the salt.

And a third can to drain water from your tank. I have my cans on casters so I can wheel them from the mixing area to the tank. You want a siphon to remove water. I use a pump to pump new salt water in.

Get a refractometer to measure salinity.

Get test kits for nitrates, alkalinity, calcium, ammonia and nitrites. Salifert and Red Sea Pro are ok. API is ball park and cheap.

I would highly recommend a quarantine tank.

And you will need algae scrapers, buckets, and so on.

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
M

Manhster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome, and advice. I am definitely going to set up an RODI system. My city uses chloramine, so am waiting for Bulk Reef Supply to get the 6 stage RODI system back in stock. I was gonna use two brute bins for now. Does anyone have any suggestions on cheap powerheads to use to mix the salt water? Do you keep both freshwater and saltwater bins full, or just make saltwater as needed?

I know I am gonna need to measure salinity, nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia first, while the tank cycles. I was thinking of getting the package from Hanna that has the Ca, Mg, Salinity, Alkalinity, even though I'm not going to need some of it for a while, until it's time for corals.

My tank is being delivered on 2/19. I have rock coming 2/16. It is dry rock. Do I need to cure it? or can I just add it to cycling tank?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images.jpg

Sounds like a awesome start!

Any cheap powerheads will work for mixing saltwater. Depending on time of year, a heater to warm the mixed saltwater would be advisable.

Dry rock may Leach phosphates, so curing in a brute would help till it's ready. I would look for some "live" rock to seed the dry rock. Helps with bacterial strains needed.

As far as keeping water, you can keep both till ready. I usually keep a brute full of RO/DI water at all times and make saltwater as needed. Just easier that way because it takes sometime to process it though the RO/DI unit.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least clean the rock well with powerhose and soak in freshwater for a while. Just fill a brute container with water and powerhead and soak the rock. This will help get some phosphates out of it and anything else that needs to be leached out. Then, put it in the system to "cure". Also as mentioned above, you can use saltwater in brute with rock and a live rock to "cure".
I just use simple Maxijet 1200 for my brute containers. I have one 34g and one 45g. I also have an airstone going in my water sometimes.
How soon you mix and use the salt is really dependent on the salt you use. When I used other salts, I had to wait between 24hrs and 48hrs before I felt it was ready. My current salt is less than that. I still wait 10hrs if possible, but not 24hrs.
I also keep my 45g brute full of fresh or salt (if I know it will be used soon). I have large top off containers that are always full, so I can use those in emergency situations.
Measuring parameters is a good way to become familiar with your reef and the chemistry involved. Definitely will use those test kits over your first 5 years. a combo is fine, just as you buy, remember to check expiration dates!

Good luck!!!!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Congrats.

You must be the type of person who puts on his boxers two legs at a time, cuz u sure jumped right in!!!

You have so many cool toys and doodads that it's gonna be an intense learning curve. Try hard not to be in a rush.
I'd get the rodi ASAP, get your salt water mixed up, let them set up the tank for you and walk through the Apex operations, and then get them out of your house before they push you into anything you're not ready for.

Great questions about live v dry rock. You're the captain. It's your call.
IMHO, the real fun in the beginning is agonizing over the little things and making it your own. If you let them set it up, turn it on, put in a half dozen fish and four colonies from the store, the fun is halfway over and all you have to look forward to is dealing with the inevitable issues.

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great deal and a lot of nice gear to start out! You definitely hit the ground running!! Everyone has hit it right on with the rest of the gear needed. Just remember to take your time and ask as many questions as you can! Welcome to the hobby and R2R!!!!

OP
OP
M

Manhster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the aquarium was delivered on Wednesday. I had them setup everything and add water. I did the aquascaping. I just realized the Auto top off system is a gravity system with a ball valve. Is this good enough, or should I get a Tunze Osmolator?

Also, how do ya'll like my aquascaping?

redsea xxl 625.jpeg

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of the gravity fed ATO system, so I would recommend looking at the Tunze.
The tank and the aquascaping look great. Nice start for sure!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great package for the price! I’d definitely use a tunze for the ATO and you’ll find other great suggestions as you go.

One suggestion if not too late. Personal opinion but I dont like rocks more than 2/3-ish the height of the tank. So left side is a bit high for me. This way it gives your corals room to grow. But just an opinion.

OP
OP
M

Manhster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I agree. I was concerned with it being too high also. I adjusted it and lowered it a few inches. Thanks for the input! I just purchased the tunze osmolator. My ATO sits right on top of my sump. I was wondering how to set it up so that the water doesn't keep siphoning into the sump even when the pump is off? Do I have to run the hose to the tank above?

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I agree. I was concerned with it being too high also. I adjusted it and lowered it a few inches. Thanks for the input! I just purchased the tunze osmolator. My ATO sits right on top of my sump. I was wondering how to set it up so that the water doesn't keep siphoning into the sump even when the pump is off? Do I have to run the hose to the tank above?
Can you post a pic of your sump?

Looking at your rock stack, is there a fair amount of sand under your rock pile? Are you planning on putting any burrowing or sand sifting animals in there?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back