13   0   0
8DD23794-F670-4164-8FD6-B7D052EFB811.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to the hobby. I have a 360 gallon set up 3 months ago. So far I am just sand, live rock, 6 Clownfish of assorted patterns, an anemone and a red feather duster. I plan to go reef with it. I have started trying to establish a colony of copepods. I have a representative from the local store chain that comes to my house and helps with the tank and gives advice. Our planned next move is a Tailspot Blenny and in a few weeks on her next visit, a Midas Blenny and a Gorgonian. Her theory is the Tailspot will hang out with the Clownfish, I don't completely understand but has something to do with having an even number of clowns. After the Tailspot has been in a few weeks we will add the Midas to keep aggression in check. I was happy with that plan until I started doing research and saw the Starry Blenny. She says I have to decide...the Tailspot and Midas or just the Starry. And on the Tailspot...I was unsure on the colors, I found some threads on here (thanks guys), there is a Standard and an Orange. The Standard is readily available where as, at least right now, the Orange is hard to come by. I figure my next move after that is some Goby, Wrasse, Tang, Dragonet, Jawfish and corals, then maybe some bigger stuff. Advice on strategies, quantities and types of species are appreciated. If you had a brand new 360 gallon what would you do? I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

Welcome! Glad you joined. SO, I'd make sure I liked my aquascape (rocks) and adjust anything needed to accommodate the sleeping needs of my fish wishlist as well as the light needs for my future corals (and plan for GROWTH because they will - both fish and corals LOL).

Even if something is 'readily available' instead decide if that is what you want. It may be with you 5-35 years, so its not decision to be taken lightly. Enjoy doing your research.

I wish I had gone with photosynthetic gorgonian corals, because I think they would be doing better in my tank - the ones I have are only filter feeders, and while colors are gorgeous, they haven't grown over time like everything else.

Depending how your clownfish pair up, you may end up with 2 harems breeding... OR at least that is what happened with me... and the one pair got an anemone but the other pair banished to other end of 180g tried to live in (and killed) coral frags... until finally I caught and sold the extra breeding clownfish pair... Original pair plus juvenile they keep tiny (exact same age lol) continues to breed but I just let the babies become extra fish food every 10+ days or so

Even though I returned to hobby with jawfish on my must have wishlist, I don't have one and will wait until I can have a deep sandbed (old school undergravel filtration anyone LOL) away from main large tank...

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Since you mention pods and future dragonet, let me share this link of mine:

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back