Brand new to the wonderful world of water life

Dadude80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm excited about this new chapter and eager to learn all I can about aquariums and fish both fresh and salt water I have a 55 gal tank that I set up for me and my daughter we set it up about 2 weeks ago and went out and pick our very first fish today I had the water tested everything was perfect (so I thought) we set the fish in the tank still in the bag for about 20 mins then let it out the bag everything was good for about an hour went to the grocery store came home and it was dead my daughter was heart broken.....
Any suggestions

20190808_121952.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Its very likely the tank wasnt finished cycling. And saltwater fish need to be acclimated before being put in. Unlike freshwater there are a multitude of parameters that can change from one tank to the next in saltwater.
Check out these threads here, they have tons of great info to get you headed in the right direction :)

Wtr2r13.gif

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find this link helpful and anything else just ask

And welcome to R2R!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! The articles listed above have excellent info and this is a very helpful forum so we will do what we can to help your family on your adventure.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as everyone before me said, welcome. Salt tanks need time to cycle unlike a freshwater tank that can be done in a week or 2.

What type of filtration are you running on your tank? Canister? HoB(hang on back), sump style? what are you keeping your salt level at and how are you measuring it?

Just a few things to see where your at... it's a wonderful world. My daughter loves our tank. When se watches Nemo shes always looking at the tv then to the tank and back to the tv.. it's like hey I have Nemo too. Lol.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank needs more time to cycle and mature. The acclimation time should increase to at least 45 minutes in my opinion.

You mentioned all your test results were good, which tests did you conduct?

forum is an amazing source. Welcome to R2R!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I forgot to mention before. When you dump your fish after acclimation. Dont put the fish store water in your tank. Scoop the fish from the bucket u used for acclimation.
Most fish stores treat their fish tanks with chemicals to kill parasites and treat infections. (Not a bad thing) you just dont want it in your tank bc it can harm inverts.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm excited about this new chapter and eager to learn all I can about aquariums and fish both fresh and salt water I have a 55 gal tank that I set up for me and my daughter we set it up about 2 weeks ago and went out and pick our very first fish today I had the water tested everything was perfect (so I thought) we set the fish in the tank still in the bag for about 20 mins then let it out the bag everything was good for about an hour went to the grocery store came home and it was dead my daughter was heart broken.....
Any suggestions

20190808_121952.jpg
Man i litterally did a double take. I thought you were floating a shark fin!

Enjoy the stay. This is a wonderful community.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back