3000 GPH @ 20' of head - What pump am I buying ?

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taking one of the other pumps starter capacitor out and replace it in the backup that has starting issues.
Great advise!!!! Look what I found
69F3343D-0F8E-40A9-8E95-7278F558DAA3.jpeg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advise!!!! Look what I found
69F3343D-0F8E-40A9-8E95-7278F558DAA3.jpeg

Yeah I kind of knew it was dead but not that dead :eek:
Is the pump now working ok? I am a bit concerned because I suspect that the motor is drawing a lot more current than it should be. You might want to check out the amperage with a Killawatt meter before putting it back into the system.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there - if it was me, I would use the below pump.... It's made by Pentair and was designed for pools. It's variable speed, fully programmable, very quiet, < $1300 at most places, and will pump 2000 gph at about 40ft of head pressure (double you your requirement) at about 2/3 full speed. It is modeled after the Sta-rite Max-E-Pro - my FAVORITE pump when I was installing pumps /automation. These lasted roughly 15 years before needing new shaft seals, and another 5 yr after that. EXTREMELY easy to service, self priming, external, and comes with pre filter. The metal lock ring is part of the beauty of the design - no bolts to unscrew or rust. Posts available at most local pool stores... Has been in production for ~ 20 years. Amazing pump - I'd take a peek.

Buy here : Pump curves in the users manual, near the end.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those looked like great pumps! Never knew of them. Thanks for sharing.
Hi there - if it was me, I would use the below pump.... It's made by Pentair and was designed for pools. It's variable speed, fully programmable, very quiet, < $1300 at most places, and will pump 2000 gph at about 40ft of head pressure (double you your requirement) at about 2/3 full speed. It is modeled after the Sta-rite Max-E-Pro - my FAVORITE pump when I was installing pumps /automation. These lasted roughly 15 years before needing new shaft seals, and another 5 yr after that. EXTREMELY easy to service, self priming, external, and comes with pre filter. The metal lock ring is part of the beauty of the design - no bolts to unscrew or rust. Posts available at most local pool stores... Has been in production for ~ 20 years. Amazing pump - I'd take a peek.

Buy here : Pump curves in the users manual, near the end.

HC MATERIALS? Is the seal saltwater designed ?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is HC materials? The pump volute/body is cast fiberglass with SS components (standard). Yes, seals /pump is designed for saltwater use. The pool, from a chemical standpoint, is much more harsh than our aquariums. I believe seals are graphite + ceramic (standard non-mag-drive seals).

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I kind of knew it was dead but not that dead :eek:
Is the pump now working ok? I am a bit concerned because I suspect that the motor is drawing a lot more current than it should be. You might want to check out the amperage with a Killawatt meter before putting it back into the system.
Thank you for the advise, I will do that. I think I have made my choice to jump to MRC R6100 on both my returns. probably pulling the trigger today.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advise, I will do that. I think I have made my choice to jump to MRC R6100 on both my returns. probably pulling the trigger today.
Looks like a good choice. I think that your demands exceeded what Reeflo could supply. The MRC 6100 seems much better suited for this job.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? What are your impressions of the Hydrotek pumps??
I went with the HydroTek MRC 6100 pumps and love them, very well built, quiet, and run way cooler.
Running right at the advertised pump curve rate of 2400 @ 20' of head pressure.
I would highly recommend these pumps, in a few months they are releasing a size largger, then in under a year they will introduce another even larger one. If I remember correctly, the next release is going to be the 9000.

Specs
Dimensions: 24″ x 16″ x 16″
Max Flow: 6,100 GPH
Water inlet size: 1.5″
Water discharge size: 1.5″
Max Head: 23′
Max Power: 344 watts
Max Current: 3/1.5 Amps
Voltage: 115v/230v 60Hz
Motor HP: 1/3 HP
Motor Enclosure: TEFC
Cordset: US 8′
Trees Planted: 1
Warranty: 60 months

Last edited:

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the HydroTek MRC 6100 pumps and love them, very well built, quiet, and run way cooler.
Running right at the advertised pump curve rate of 2400 @ 20' of head pressure.
I would highly recommend these pumps, in a few months they are releasing a size largger, then in under a year they will introduce another even larger one. If I remember correctly, the next release is going to be the 9000.

Specs
Dimensions: 24″ x 16″ x 16″
Max Flow: 6,100 GPH
Water inlet size: 1.5″
Water discharge size: 1.5″
Max Head: 23′
Max Power: 344 watts
Max Current: 3/1.5 Amps
Voltage: 115v/230v 60Hz
Motor HP: 1/3 HP
Motor Enclosure: TEFC
Cordset: US 8′
Trees Planted: 1
Warranty: 60 months

@14 foot reef you still liking this pump? I'm considering it as well. My need is for about 2,200 GPH at 21' feet of head.

After much searching, found this pump curve. Does anyone else have recommendations for a similar pump they like? AC/DC doesn't matter, as long as it meets the flow @ head.

1714495242051.png

BrighamSarratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taking one of the other pumps starter capacitor out and replace it in the backup that has starting issues.

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To OP. Just out of interest, how big is the system DT you’re running? That is a lot of flow you’re going for.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@14 foot reef you still liking this pump? I'm considering it as well. My need is for about 2,200 GPH at 21' feet of head.

After much searching, found this pump curve. Does anyone else have recommendations for a similar pump they like? AC/DC doesn't matter, as long as it meets the flow @ head.

1714495242051.png

I moved to all MRC 6100's I have 4 running. I will NEVER run another type of AC pump ever again in any of my installations.

Did I mention " NEVER EVER "

This pump is hands down best in the industry.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the update on the MRC!

I had a scare and thought my Abyzz died the other day.... and that I would have to take out a third mortgage to get another one and keep my tank going. Good to know that the MRCs work well and don't spring leaks every 6 months!

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To OP. Just out of interest, how big is the system DT you’re running? That is a lot of flow you’re going for.
850 Total gallons running from a garage 100' away form display tank.

I run 2 in tandem with all the head pressure
Thanks for posting the update on the MRC!

I had a scare and thought my Abyzz died the other day.... and that I would have to take out a third mortgage to get another one and keep my tank going. Good to know that the MRCs work well and don't spring leaks every 6 months!
Mine are 4 years old now and I have never had them offline to repair. They are running as smooth as day 1 and only burn 300 watts avg at only 2.9 amps
When I ran the Abyzz numbers they weren't much more efficient but 10 times the cost up front.
It makes zero monetary sense to me to ever spend that much money and not save 10 times the power.
Believe me, I'm a gear junkie and really wanted the Abyzz, but when I ran the power vs cost numbers, it was a no brainer.
I have them in the EB832's with power monitoring. So I know the exact numbers

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back