3000 GPH @ 20' of head - What pump am I buying ?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm at the end of my rope with Reeflo. I have the Reeflo Suntail 4000's runing in tandem on my system.(they are discontinued now) They both cause just to many problems and issues to continue in this direction. I have 2 on the shelves as back ups and those have issues also. I just had one fail, over heating loud noises and leaking at the seal. I switched it out for one of my back ups, and the back up sticks at start up, so can not rely on it. If power goes out even for a few seconds, it will not start up unless I spin it up manually, then it will run. Of course I can not rely on that. The other one on the shelve leaks terribly at the shaft seal, even though its a new seal, as the shaft is rusted from previous leaks, so it will not seal.

Is there a quality AC pump that can move that much water and be relatively quiet and relatively energy efficient. It is a garage application so quiet isn't a must.
When I look there just doesn't seem to be many options out there that fit this need. Pumps need to run a minimum of 3000 GPH @ 20' of head each, and I would need 2 of them.

DC pumps are out of the question because of cost. 2 DC pumps would be near $4000.00

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience but iwalki, Panworld/Blueline seem to be the top runners for non-DC options, I'm in a similar predicament and am looking at Royal Exclusive myself. 2 Speedy 230W pumps would run $2600...

Edit: Even the 230W wouldn't be enough...

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taking one of the other pumps starter capacitor out and replace it in the backup that has starting issues.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I know nothing about high volume high head height external pumps... but I do remember checking out the webpage at aquariumspecialty.com and they seem to have a large selection of them compared to other online retailers.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty short list im afraid. Neither the Iwaki or PanWorld pumps will get you there and, of course, the abyzz 400 isn't AC LOL (and it's crazy expensive). Have you looked at Dolphin? Much more reliable than Reeflo as long as you get the version rated for an abrasive environment (type 3 seal). Model 7450 would work; around $650 if memory serves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty short list im afraid. Neither the Iwaki or PanWorld pumps will get you there and, of course, the abyzz 400 isn't AC LOL (and it's crazy expensive). Have you looked at Dolphin? Much more reliable than Reeflo as long as you get the version rated for an abrasive environment (type 3 seal). Model 7450 would work; around $650 if memory serves.

this is Great info, I used to run dolphins a long time ago. kinda had the same problem as reeflo. leaking seals, noisy bearings once seal started leaking.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reeflo hammerhead gold

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MRC MP6100 HydroTek Pump

This looks very promising !!!! No revies anywhere. Has anyone used this punp or their line of pumps, how is there quality?

They are pretty new being released last year so no long term reviews that I've come across... they use the exact same motor as the Reeflo pumps so not sure if they have managed to improve the seals atall or where the differences truly lie... also at 20ft the flow curve puts the GPH at around 2200 so it falls short of your 3000GPH goals...

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful using a pool pump. You want to look out for high energy consumption, noise, and possibly metal parts in the pump chamber.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty new being released last year so no long term reviews that I've come across... they use the exact same motor as the Reeflo pumps so not sure if they have managed to improve the seals atall or where the differences truly lie... also at 20ft the flow curve puts the GPH at around 2200 so it falls short of your 3000GPH goals...
Thank you very much, yes I see that but I would trade off flow for reliability. I've moved away from the triton method
Be careful using a pool pump. You want to look out for high energy consumption, noise, and possibly metal parts in the pump chamber.
That is something I would never do, I guess my reply was more in sarcasm.....OOPS. HeHe

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something I would never do, I guess my reply was more in sarcasm.....OOPS. HeHe

Sarcasm or not...Sequence pumps would be a good choice. They make pool, pond, and pool booster pumps. Saltwater seals and enclosed impellers with efficiency and reliability.
https://mdminc.com/sequence/

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is Great info, I used to run dolphins a long time ago. kinda had the same problem as reeflo. leaking seals, noisy bearings once seal started leaking.

Interesting. I had a very good experience with dolphin, though it was only a sample size of one. Imprtant to get the type 3 slat/reef/abrasive seal.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those looked like great pumps! Never knew of them. Thanks for sharing.
Sarcasm or not...Sequence pumps would be a good choice. They make pool, pond, and pool booster pumps. Saltwater seals and enclosed impellers with efficiency and reliability.
https://mdminc.com/sequence/

Back