Brand New UV sterilizer flickering?!

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Jebao 36w UV on my tank to finish off Dinos and its flickering. Is this normal or is it something easy to fix or do I need to return it?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be flickering. Should be a steady light blue glow. Either bulb, connectors or ballast is bad. I’d return it.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be flickering. Should be a steady light blue glow. Either bulb, connectors or ballast is bad. I’d return it.
Man that sucks to hear. Was a PITA to set up and I was excited to knock these Dinos out for good :(

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. If it’s the kind you need to seal, recheck your work. If it comes pre-sealed / ready to go, it sounds defective. Best wishes!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAIT, I just turned the pump off so I could investigate to check it out and it stopped flickering. Could it just be the water flow that is making it look like its flickering? Or is the water flow affecting something to make it flicker?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. If it’s the kind you need to seal, recheck your work. If it comes pre-sealed / ready to go, it sounds defective. Best wishes!
Its Jebao, it had horrible directions and I opened it up just to make sure there was no plastic around the bulb and closed it back up. Just a simple screw cap I didn't tinker with anything.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAIT, I just turned the pump off so I could investigate to check it out and it stopped flickering. Could it just be the water flow that is making it look like its flickering? Or is the water flow affecting something to make it flicker?
Is your pump DC? If so slow it down and see if the flickering lessens. If so, prob just water causing it. If not then something ain’t right.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sorry for taking your guys' time. It's just the flow making it look that way in the nozzle. It has a viewing hole and I looked at it in the dark with pump on and off and there's no flickering. Thank you for the quick responses though!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I’m not familiar with that model, but my thought was moisture getting where it shouldn’t be.
I think we're good. See, I was fine with it then my brother pointed it out and then I just started overthinking but it's good, just the flow distorting it making it look like its flickering.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back