Brass splitter, prior to RODI question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redn0va7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redn0va7

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have 2 well established reef tanks and I use my own rodi in the laundry room to help make my own water (see picture). I noticed that the connector/splitter leading into the rodi has a blue substance on it from possible corrosion... and I'm wondering if I should replace it with the same type or connector or get a new type of material for the connector (if that's even an option, I can't seem to find a similar pvc connector and I'm honestly not trusting of plastic... I'm afraid it might fail and flood the house).

Edit: The connector/splitter I currently have is brass, and I know brass has copper... I just thought that since it was before the rodi it was fine because most pipes in houses are copper based. I've had no major issues with the both tanks, except maybe a random hammer head bleaching oncea year. I've had this rodi setup for 3 years and my reef tank for 5 years.

20251025_134028.jpg 20251025_140135.jpg 20251025_140330.jpg
 
This is a garden hose splitter!

It uses hose threads, which differ from National Pipe Thread (NPT) primarily in that it doesn’t taper in diameter, and does require a rubber o-ring or gasket to make a seal!

There are hose thread to pipe thread adapters in every permutation of male/female threads, but that’s only necessary if you choose to adapt this to actual pipe threaded fittings in the future!

— these garden hose wyes have a ball valve on each port, these ball valves have a rubber seal around the stem leading to the valve “handle”… it looks like yours might be starting to weep water, causing the corrosion!

—this wye is a cheap replacement part, but for now, you can rest easy knowing it isn’t going to randomly burst! — it’s a slow leak at worst!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new