Breaker tripping on 15amp Pyle PDC70

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has been setup since December. I have two power strips, one Pyle PDC70 and another Tripp lite surge suppressor (both 15amp). I have a second pyle but that is off with my stand builder so he can build a controller board for them. The Pyle PDC70 has been tripping the 15 amp breaker it has built in. It originally tripped in February about 3 times then again last week it tripped twice. Last week after the second I turned off my new reef octopus Regal 250 as it was overflowing after adding some Dr. Tims First Defense to help with a case of Ich I'm fighting. Today when I turned the skimmer up one bar on the controller, the breaker on the Pyle tripped within a couple of minutes. I reset it after a minute and turned the skimmer back down and it has been running since. I have a maximum of 1074 watts running on the 1800 watt power strip. I get there are surge watts, but even if the heater kicked on at the same time as the skimmer i should still be within range. Do you think I could have a bad pump or controller on the Regal 250? The tank is 225 gallons, I could drop to two 300w or a 500w and 300w. I could also move the heater or skimmer to the Tripp lite. Let me know your thoughts as i have a 90w UV on order.

Current equipment

Jebao DCP-8000 (65 watt max) running at 19w per controller (New in December)
Finnex 820m with 800watt titanium tube (New in December)
MP40 running about 60% 37w max (used on my old tank)
Reef Octopus Regal 250 max 70w (35-70w range) (New in December)

The Tripp Lite surge suppressor just has 4 Kessil A360x (90w max each) and two reefbreeders 60" lumenbar strips, but I have yet to use the lumenbars.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has been setup since December. I have two power strips, one Pyle PDC70 and another Tripp lite surge suppressor (both 15amp). I have a second pyle but that is off with my stand builder so he can build a controller board for them. The Pyle PDC70 has been tripping the 15 amp breaker it has built in. It originally tripped in February about 3 times then again last week it tripped twice. Last week after the second I turned off my new reef octopus Regal 250 as it was overflowing after adding some Dr. Tims First Defense to help with a case of Ich I'm fighting. Today when I turned the skimmer up one bar on the controller, the breaker on the Pyle tripped within a couple of minutes. I reset it after a minute and turned the skimmer back down and it has been running since. I have a maximum of 1074 watts running on the 1800 watt power strip. I get there are surge watts, but even if the heater kicked on at the same time as the skimmer i should still be within range. Do you think I could have a bad pump or controller on the Regal 250? The tank is 225 gallons, I could drop to two 300w or a 500w and 300w. I could also move the heater or skimmer to the Tripp lite. Let me know your thoughts as i have a 90w UV on order.

Current equipment

The Tripp Lite surge suppressor just has 4 Kessil A360x (90w max each) and two reefbreeders 60" lumenbar strips, but I have yet to use the lumenbars.
Is it possible you got a bad surge protector shorting out? A drop of water on one of the outlets can really screw things up! Do you happen to have room to put a 20amp breaker in? Or if you have room you can put it on two circuit that’s a 30amp put I don’t think that’s your problem. You must have a short in the line somewhere!

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ^^. Something is shorting out. I’d Upgrade the surge protector.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current equipment

Using your provided watts your sitting at around 10 amps.

Just to verify you said it's a 15 amp surge protector and the protector is tripping? Or is it the breaker within your breaker box that is tripping?

Is that the only outlet on that breaker? If not what else is plugged into that 15amp circuit?

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, all items that are rated (say 15A) does NOT mean 15A continuous, but rather 80% of rated ampacity. This is true of breakers and I would assume strips use similar math to determine load abilities. That puts you at roughly 1440W max. Take this into consideration as well. I did not do your math above, but make sure you are below/near the 80% threshold.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, all items that are rated (say 15A) does NOT mean 15A continuous, but rather 80% of rated ampacity. This is true of breakers and I would assume strips use similar math to determine load abilities. That puts you at roughly 1440W max. Take this into consideration as well. I did not do your math above, but make sure you are below/near the 80% threshold.

Stole my thunder for my follow up when he answered my first set of questions!

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i calculated your math above, and if I added everything correctly that I see you are running, I came up with 1342 - that is very near the edge of "ok" and this ASSUMES you are dead on 120VAC - which I highly doubt. P=IE is the formula - higher voltage = higher wattage! Most items are rated A@120VAC which means at a slightly higher voltage there is slightly more amperage = higher wattage as well!

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i calculated your math above, and if I added everything correctly that I see you are running, I came up with 1342 - that is very near the edge of "ok" and this ASSUMES you are dead on 120VAC - which I highly doubt. P=IE is the formula - higher voltage = higher wattage! Most items are rated A@120VAC which means at a slightly higher voltage there is slightly more amperage = higher wattage as well!
That’s why I’m suggesting either a bigger circuit or use two. Also there must be something else plugged in to that breaker that’s not being counted!

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible you got a bad surge protector shorting out? A drop of water on one of the outlets can really screw things up! Do you happen to have room to put a 20amp breaker in? Or if you have room you can put it on two circuit that’s a 30amp put I don’t think that’s your problem. You must have a short in the line somewhere!
I got some advice from a buddy of mine on Friday and moved some stuff off the Pyle, it tripped again a few hours later...moved everything off but the heater and it tripped. Swapped out the heating element and it tripped 5 min later. Swapped in an old 15a power strip and it's been fine since. The Pyle is up in my office waiting on a reply about a warranty repair / swap since it is only a couple months old. The main breaker never tripped, nor did the GFCI outlet.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot the main breaker for this outlet is 20amp. I built out the basement and when the electrician and i discussed that I would have large fish tanks, we did GFCI's and 20amp breakers dedicated to each tank.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot the main breaker for this outlet is 20amp. I built out the basement and when the electrician and i discussed that I would have large fish tanks, we did GFCI's and 20amp breakers dedicated to each tank.

Next time throw this in your first post! ;)

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time throw this in your first post! ;)
Yeah sorry, I was pretty frustrated when I posted. In my mind i knew it was either the skimmer, heater or the pyle strip, but that was key information I should have added when requesting help.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry, I was pretty frustrated when I posted. In my mind i knew it was either the skimmer, heater or the pyle strip, but that was key information I should have added when requesting help.

No worries, sounds like you got it narrowed to the strip!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back