Breaking down my system, thinking Citric Acid

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a big move at the end of the month and have sold my entire system. Im removing all of the livestock today and plan on cleaning out everything else. I had this idea that after I remove all of the rock and sand, to refill the system with fresh water and add some citric acid ( maybe 10:1) and run the system for a day or two. My thought is to break down any coralline on the back wall and any calcium build up. Also helping the clean the pumps, power heads , skimmer and sump. Thoughts??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve done this with freshwater only and no lights for a couple of days then used an acrylic scraper

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a big move at the end of the month and have sold my entire system. Im removing all of the livestock today and plan on cleaning out everything else. I had this idea that after I remove all of the rock and sand, to refill the system with fresh water and add some citric acid ( maybe 10:1) and run the system for a day or two. My thought is to break down any coralline on the back wall and any calcium build up. Also helping the clean the pumps, power heads , skimmer and sump. Thoughts??
Did you end up doing this? I am thinking of doing the same thing.

jlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know @ShawnSaucier . I'm breaking my tank down now and want to make sure everything is squeaky clean

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do it. I emptied everything and brought the wet dry vacuum to suck as much out as possible. After I refilled with fresh plain water and I put 5 bags in my system and let it run for a few days, including skimmer. Helped break down all of the coralline and any calcium and salt build up. Everything scraped off easily.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back