BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

voooooo

View Badges
Reaction score
just order some bottles of purge and have a few questions.
1) does this kill normal flatworms?
a) if so the instructions on your site states to perform small water changes on day 6, 13,20,26
would toxins release be harmful?
b) if not then treat for normal flatworms before beginning treatment with purge?
2) remove carbon?
3) can continue to use gfo?
4) skimmer can be ran without collection cup?

thanks in advance

KidA

View Badges
Reaction score
Not planning to do the small water change since I have a large system. Has anyone else experimented/not done the water change and everything work out okay? Would be nice to know why it is recommended too. Thanks!

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
just order some bottles of purge and have a few questions.
1) does this kill normal flatworms?
a) if so the instructions on your site states to perform small water changes on day 6, 13,20,26
would toxins release be harmful?
b) if not then treat for normal flatworms before beginning treatment with purge?
2) remove carbon?
3) can continue to use gfo?
4) skimmer can be ran without collection cup?

thanks in advance

I’m not sure, so I won’t instruct you on using it to rid regular flatworms as they do release toxins that can be harmful to your other animals within the tank. I would do some research on how soon water changes need to be done when ridding them.

For treating AEFW’s..

Yes, remove carbon
No, gfo is fine
Absolutely can let your skimmer run with collection cup off to keep oxygen levels up :)

Not planning to do the small water change since I have a large system. Has anyone else experimented/not done the water change and everything work out okay? Would be nice to know why it is recommended too. Thanks!

Skipping the water changes is fine. The important thing is to make sure water quality stays top notch :)

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Well 1 week update..
Lost a few acro frags that wernt looking to healthy to begin withbut I expected some loss. Had some tissue loss on others but it has subsided.

Now for the flat worms.. after a long dip of all pieces and a double dose treatment of purge. all and I do mean all acros have showed increased colors...(most browned out) I have checked and cannot at this point see any new bite Marks.
I will be performing a test dip on the most infected corals and getting a fw count if any.
During the first treatment no other livestock was effected snails, starfish,fish and crabs nothing. As far as the nudibranch's I have not seen a significant decrease in population but some montis dont look as affected. I will also be re dipping the acros and getting a count.
Dipped some new incoming corals and the expell dip in my opinion targets flatworms as they are the first to die whete amphipods wriggle for a bit while the flat worms are completely dead.
Doing my 10% water change tonight and proceeding with a second dosage Sunday night. I will continue to update.

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
On a side note.... I did some testing on some red planra and the clear micro flatworms and the expell dip works wonders. As far as the purge treatment it has minimized the planra count but doesnt seem to affect the micro flatworms.
Would love to test in tank dosages of purge for nudibranchs in my other systen after this test but would need more purge :/
I will be posting pictures of the remaining pests after this weekends dip.

J. Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Started today.

I didn’t have a huge AEFW problem, but I had a few colonies that kept getting them even though I e dipped again, and again, and again.

PH fell a little with the initial 2oz per 20g dose. Not much, 8.05 to 7.95. It’s on the way back up after an hours time and is now at 8.0. Skimmer is running and pulling in air from outside like normal. The collection cup is draining back into the sump to keep all the Purge in. Carbon, UV, UV leds are all off.

Wish me luck. I’ve been battling AEFW for a year now and haven’t won the war yet. Only small battles.

J. Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It’s been a couple hours and things are clearing up. No negative affects to report so far. I’ll chime in tomorrow. 10% water change is standing by and will happen next Friday on day 6. Then the next dose of Purge @ 1oz per 20g which would be 12oz for my system.

J. Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I've had Purge in my tank for 4 hours now and the PE on my acros have significantly improved. In fact there were three or four colonies that didn't have PE fat all (probably because of AEFW) have great PE now.

This is amazing results with only 4 hours of Purge. Anyone else experience this?

So far, no issues only improved PE and PE on acropora that didn't have it.

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
will 16oz be the only size or will you guys make bigger ones?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well 1 week update..
Lost a few acro frags that wernt looking to healthy to begin withbut I expected some loss. Had some tissue loss on others but it has subsided.

Now for the flat worms.. after a long dip of all pieces and a double dose treatment of purge. all and I do mean all acros have showed increased colors...(most browned out) I have checked and cannot at this point see any new bite Marks.
I will be performing a test dip on the most infected corals and getting a fw count if any.
During the first treatment no other livestock was effected snails, starfish,fish and crabs nothing. As far as the nudibranch's I have not seen a significant decrease in population but some montis dont look as affected. I will also be re dipping the acros and getting a count.
Dipped some new incoming corals and the expell dip in my opinion targets flatworms as they are the first to die whete amphipods wriggle for a bit while the flat worms are completely dead.
Doing my 10% water change tonight and proceeding with a second dosage Sunday night. I will continue to update.

Thanks for the update :)

Started today.

I didn’t have a huge AEFW problem, but I had a few colonies that kept getting them even though I e dipped again, and again, and again.

PH fell a little with the initial 2oz per 20g dose. Not much, 8.05 to 7.95. It’s on the way back up after an hours time and is now at 8.0. Skimmer is running and pulling in air from outside like normal. The collection cup is draining back into the sump to keep all the Purge in. Carbon, UV, UV leds are all off.

Wish me luck. I’ve been battling AEFW for a year now and haven’t won the war yet. Only small battles.

Looking forward to hearing your updates :)

So I've had Purge in my tank for 4 hours now and the PE on my acros have significantly improved. In fact there were three or four colonies that didn't have PE fat all (probably because of AEFW) have great PE now.

This is amazing results with only 4 hours of Purge. Anyone else experience this?

So far, no issues only improved PE and PE on acropora that didn't have it.

Yes, we’ve received quite a few emails and messages with this exact experience :)

An observation after first dose. No issues with any of my livestock but I just checked my nitrates and they are undetectable on the red sea test kit.prior to dosing I was at 2ppm

Thanks for the update :)

will 16oz be the only size or will you guys make bigger ones?

As of right now, the 16 oz is our biggest size :)

Caliguy1983

View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC I ordered purge and vibrant both from you. Would you recommend using one before the other? My vibrant is due in tomorrow. The purge will be a few more days but lll wait if I need to run the purge first. Please advise...

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You can use both at the same time with no issues :)

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Well little update... re dipped some corals and found zero flatworms on the most affected acros.(only test dipped 3 out of 50 )
Re dipped a monti and found quite a few nudibranchs. Used the 2-3x concentration and it seemed to do the job at killing them with some basting.
One note with purge may vary for others,
Ph dropped with dosage which is fine stabalized within a day or 2.. tested alk every 3 days with ph on the rise. Noticed alk and calcium consumption dropped off quite a bit and alk raised 1.5-2 dkh over the course of the weak. Corals look a bit aggravated but I have never seen such a color transition... brown corals regaining almost all color within the week. Looking very good as a regimen for eliminating flatworms. Just keep on your parameters!

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very good!

Yes, indeed important to track parameters. Some people see zero shifts and some see substantial shifts. Make sure to watch Alk closely so there are no major shifts in either direction :)

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
With the Purge treatment, do I need to leave my skimmer off for the duration of the 28 day treatment or just a few hours after dosing?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As long as your system can handle, or a minimum of 48 hrs after each dose. You can leave it running with the collection cup off if you wish to keep oxygen levels elevated :)

Shawn Dahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Day 1 of the purge, before dosing i basted and removed any flatworms i could find. After dose I had a drop in ph from 8.12 to 7.94. ORP also dropped but I don't really track ORP changes. I noticed immediate polyp extension on ALL of my corals. Fish appear unaffected negatively but the purge did appear to stimulate a feeding response in the fish, all other inverts appear unaffected. Water stayed murky for a few hours following dosing. Ph continued to drop throughout the day but I can't confirm that was due to the purge or the increased co2 in my home due to friends coming over.
IMG_1111.jpeg
IMG_1112.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back