Breeding berghia nudibranches?

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting some berghia nudibranches to kill of the aptaisa in my 225 gallon, and I was curious if it would be difficult to move some out to another tank for breeding. Do they need any special care other than having aptaisa to eat? My workplace has an unlimited supply of aptaisa for me to feed them lol. Although I'm not sure if it's easy to remove aptaisa from a tank and move them. How big of a tank would I need for them? Or would I just keep them in my main tank and toss more aptaisa in there. Anyone breeding nudibranches after they ate the aptaisa in your main tank?

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I breed them, partially to re-supply my own tanks (they never find every single aiptasia, so I have to repeat treatments occasionally). They're easy minus a couple of things. I keep mine in a 1g tank, and I breed aiptasia in a 5g bucket. It can be hard to keep the aiptasia reproducing faster than what the berghia consume (I only keep about 10-15 berghia at a time, and I often still worry about the food supply of aiptasia from a 5g bucket). I probably need to feed the aiptasia more, but then the aiptasia become a lot of work (water changes, etc.)

You'll have to keep the nudi tank free of pods and other predators, which can be a challenge. The pods will go after the eggs and small nudis. I've also had two colony collapses, and I still don't know why. Thankfully the eggs survived, so I was able to rebuild the colony eventually.

As for pulling them from your main tank... that's easier said than done. They're nocturnal, so you'd have to hunt for them late at night when they're active. Then, I usually only find the massive adults (or the small ones are really hard to catch without accidentally hurting them). It's easier to start them in a small, separate tank and move them over to a display when necessary.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I breed them, partially to re-supply my own tanks (they never find every single aiptasia, so I have to repeat treatments occasionally). They're easy minus a couple of things. I keep mine in a 1g tank, and I breed aiptasia in a 5g bucket. It can be hard to keep the aiptasia reproducing faster than what the berghia consume (I only keep about 10-15 berghia at a time, and I often still worry about the food supply of aiptasia from a 5g bucket). I probably need to feed the aiptasia more, but then the aiptasia become a lot of work (water changes, etc.)

You'll have to keep the nudi tank free of pods and other predators, which can be a challenge. The pods will go after the eggs and small nudis. I've also had two colony collapses, and I still don't know why. Thankfully the eggs survived, so I was able to rebuild the colony eventually.

As for pulling them from your main tank... that's easier said than done. They're nocturnal, so you'd have to hunt for them late at night when they're active. Then, I usually only find the massive adults (or the small ones are really hard to catch without accidentally hurting them). It's easier to start them in a small, separate tank and move them over to a display when necessary.
Oh that's great to hear they can be bred in a 1 gallon. Do you keep any rock or sand in there? I don't know why I didn't consider starting them out in the separate tank first, I might just do that.

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only keep the rocks (i.e., tiny rubble - like calcium reactor media) that have aiptasia on them. There's not exactly a lot of waste being produced, so there's not much to worry about. Plus, they're easier to find with less rock.

Keep in mind that it can be hard to keep the nudis out of pumps or any filters. I have an actual pump running with filter floss, but it may be easier with an air stone/sponge combo.

Avner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought 2 specimens breghia young one 2 month ago,
Put them on 3 gallon tank with air pump, rock with some aiptasia traying to breed them
within 3 weeks they matured and start to ley eggs all over the tank unfortunately no luck
one of them committed suicide RIP jump under a rock that I put in the tank
the other one continue to ley eggs another 2 weeks and die (grief or getting old or other things that i can't explain)
then another 2 weeks i see dozen of bergaih nothing special just small tank with light, air pump and rock with aiptesia

Back