Breeding Clownfish

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inheriting a mated pair of black frostbite clownfish. They belonged to my brother-in-law who recently passed away. From what my sister-in-law has said, they have spawned several times for them but doesn't know any more than that. They are going in a 28g cube by themselves. That's about all I have figured out at this point. Is there any good material out there that does a good job of laying out what you need to do to successfully breed clownfish?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if you try raising the fry. They will breed if fed plenty of quality food and good water parameters and no stress. To raise the fry is an entirely different animal. Raising rotifers and having separate setups. Most are not profitable and done just as a side project.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a bunch of good threads on here about clownfish breeding, you just have to find them. if you want to breed clownfish you have to put them in their own tank or otherwise the fry are going to get eaten and get sucked up by your filter.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily....? I was last in the hobby when finding nemo came out and had good luck breeding occys. I bred a couple hundred. Now ive bred fresh water fish of some sort for years before, during and now. Its a pia to breed fish in general. Biggest issue with a lot of fish is breedng the live food bbs, rotifers, white worms for the fry that wont eat prepared foods such as clownfish. Start by learning how to breed the food tbh.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inheriting a mated pair of black frostbite clownfish. They belonged to my brother-in-law who recently passed away. From what my sister-in-law has said, they have spawned several times for them but doesn't know any more than that. They are going in a 28g cube by themselves. That's about all I have figured out at this point. Is there any good material out there that does a good job of laying out what you need to do to successfully breed clownfish?
Just google that. Tons of info.

You can start by ensuring that they have something to spawn on like a clay pot of rock with can be removed from the tank and placed in a separate fry tank when the eyes go silver.

Learn how to make your own live rotifers as for the first 7-10 days you’ll need that to keep fry going until you can start to wean onto powdered flake.
Lots of fun. Enjoy!

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the info. I swear I didn't see the breeding forum when I posted this. lol I've been reading what I can find there. Totally doing this as a side project. My wife and sister-in-law have it in their mind that this is easy and will help pay for the hobby. I have my doubts, but my dad bred freshwater fish back in the day and I've always wanted to give it a go but with saltwater. I have two clowns in my 120g that I'm pretty sure have laid eggs or clutches but I've never done anything with them. We'll see how it goes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back