Breeding room recommendations needed.

NH Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a clown breeding room. I would like 6 stations to start. I would like separate tanks rather that divide larger tanks. What is a good size per pair? Is 10 gal enough or should I go bigger. should I have a refugium with DSB? Also what about growout tanks? (size?) I have a Genesis renew and storm for water change and ATO on my 220 gal DT and I like that so I will probably set one up on the breeders. Will also set up a separate salt mix barrel so I can mix a different salinity for the breeders. What are people using for lights? What are your ideas?
TIA
Dave

ddwatson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several threads on here including mine you can take a look at. Mine even has video. 10 gallon will work for some not others. I like 20 gallon best and for bigger fish 29. No special lighting is required. I run fluorescent shop lights. Of course LED is more efficient.

David

ShannPeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about going with 20s over 10s. My racks have 20 long, 20 high, 29 and 40B tanks. If I had to pick just one size, I would go with 20H. I used fluorescent lights. You have to be careful about getting cheap LED strips or lighting pucks because they often aren't bright enough for the tanks.

You can use a deep sand bed, but your main concern will be converting ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. You will be feeding a lot and you want to make sure your system is designed to handle waste quickly and efficiently. You will also want something easy to clean, which is why bioballs can be very useful but sand can be a pain. You can use macro algaes to help remove nitrates too. A refugium can be used, but you should be feeding enough to keep your fish completely satisfied. Having some pods to clean up a bit are nice, but you won't need a separate refugium for them.

You will want to design the system for ease of maintenance and it's best to make it so individual tanks can be removed for cleaning or medicating if needed.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back