Breeding The Potters Angelfish

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two runs that ended at 22 dph. I have a huge batch of pipefish going right now (bluestripes and janss) and I am going to start another angel run once I move some of these pipefish.
have your read Kathy's thread on the coral beauty angels? i think she did hers in just a pretzel jar. she did a good presentation at MACNA last year you may want to take a look at that and see if that can help you out. Do you know what your hangups are on this project? What are you feeding and food concentrations? Are you using live phyto in the larvae tank and what are you using to raise the larvae? sorry for all the questions. Just trying to help you out with where the hang up is and see if I can help out with that. The hardest fish i've bread are Mandarins and they have a short larval period.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two runs that ended at 22 dph. I have a huge batch of pipefish going right now (bluestripes and janss) and I am going to start another angel run once I move some of these pipefish.
Once you have the janssi to a decent size I would be interested in a pair and a single male (got a single female right now).

And I really got to get going on my bluestripes as well. They are spawning constantly and I have the food for the larvae. Any tips on raising them would be welcome.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have your read Kathy's thread on the coral beauty angels? i think she did hers in just a pretzel jar. she did a good presentation at MACNA last year you may want to take a look at that and see if that can help you out. Do you know what your hangups are on this project? What are you feeding and food concentrations? Are you using live phyto in the larvae tank and what are you using to raise the larvae? sorry for all the questions. Just trying to help you out with where the hang up is and see if I can help out with that. The hardest fish i've bread are Mandarins and they have a short larval period.

Kathy and I are friends. She has helped me a lot. There are many variables that must be considered when raising angels. Maintaining proper food and algae density is critical. I have been getting large die offs around the 10 day mark but I have figured that to be adding too much algae which can cause quick fluctuations in pH and create too much dissolved gas issues. I have been adding 10 nauplii per mil but according to Karen Brittian, keeping nauplii density between 2-4 per mil is best. I am planning on starting a batch very soon.

KimoKaleohano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37858926_10156048283994215_3400633265340547072_n.jpg

Out of many angelfish pairs I have going at the moment, I have one of my favorites making babies. The potters angelfish, endemic to Hawaii is a fish species that has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. I have a 3" male and a 2" female. They have been together since April 2018. They are housed in a 150 gallon, 30" tall FOWLR aquarium with two other angelfish species (purple masked and multibar angelfish pairs).

I am going to attempt to culture these beauties and share my experiences and results with the Reef2Reef community. Please feel free to chime in and subscribe to my YouTube channel for updates, past and future projects of marine ornamental fish aquaculture.

Here's a quick video of the potters pair spawning right before the lights turn off for the night:

Here's a quick video of a baby Potters angel about 9 hours after it hatched from the egg (aka prolarvae):

Culturing trials will be under way shortly. Stay tuned for updates!

Any advice on differentiation of male and female potters angels?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the right one

KimoKaleohano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the right one
Thanks super helpful. Hopefully I can get a pair to bond.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathy and I are friends. She has helped me a lot. There are many variables that must be considered when raising angels. Maintaining proper food and algae density is critical. I have been getting large die offs around the 10 day mark but I have figured that to be adding too much algae which can cause quick fluctuations in pH and create too much dissolved gas issues. I have been adding 10 nauplii per mil but according to Karen Brittian, keeping nauplii density between 2-4 per mil is best. I am planning on starting a batch very soon.
@kandymann are you still working on this project?

Back