Brent's Cade 500 (38g)

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intro

I’m returning to the hobby after a nearly 20 year hiatus and excited for round two :cool:.

I built my first reef tank at 16 years old, a 75g mixed reef and kept it going all the way through my freshman year of college. Unfortunately, the weekend trips home to manage the tank came to an end, and I had to shut the tank down in 2005.

After years of apartment and condo living not so conducive to reef tanks, I recently bought a townhome, and decided it was time to give reefing another go. I happened across a nano series from Jake Adams (RIP), and it really inspired me that I could have success with a small tank as I work my way back into the hobby. I also have a 2 year old son who I think will immensely enjoy the process.

That being said, boy have a lot of things have changed over the years! From LED lights, not so live rock, and designer corals, it feels like I have a lot to pick up as I jump back in.

My build is nearly complete, except for the tank which is in transit.

Build

Tank

Cade Reef S2 500
38 gallons = 30.3 gallon display with an 8 gallon sump
Dimensions are 20"x22"x20"

Lighting
Radion XR15 Blue

Water Movement
Vectra S2 (Update: this was sold for a Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 due to plumbing challenges with the Vectra)
1x Nero 3

Skimmer
Ultra Reef Borie UKB-120

ATO
2.6g gravity-fed with a float valve, built into the rear of the tank display

Controller
Hydros X4
Hydros XP8

Other
Heater: 2x Eheim eThermocontrol 100w paired with an Inkbird
Backup Power: Ecoflow Delta Pro generator. Will likely add a dedicated backup for the return and powerhead for continuity. This is capable of running my entire tank for upwards of 72 hours.
RODI: Spectrapure Maxcap 90

Aquascape and Substrate
20lbs CaribSea Life Rock
20lbs Caribsea Special Grade dry sand

Filtration and Supplements
Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt
Tropic Marin All for Reef (manual dosing to start)
Quantum USA activated carbon
1500ml Sera Siporax biomedia
Fritz Turbostart 900 and IO Bio-Spira for cycling

Testing
Red Sea ammonia
API nitrite
Hanna salinity and temperature monitor
Hanna alkalinity
Hanna ULR phosphate
Hanna HR nitrate
Hanna calcium
Pinpoint pH probe for the Hydros X4
Temperature probe for the Hydros X4

Livestock Plans
3-4 small fish with a mixed reef, leaning more SPS
I plan to use only aquacultured fish and corals with an Indo-Pacific theme.

The Goods

Picked up essentially all of my dry goods from @AquariumSpecialty in Columbia, SC. Also ordered the tank through them via @AlgaeBarn. Shout out to Nathan at @AquariumSpecialty for great service and suggestions!

IMG_5164.jpeg

And what would you know, this fella arrived in the mail today. Totally experimental purchase :).

IMG_5171.jpeg

And finally a sneak peak of the tank ready to ship out

Brent Jones 2.jpeg

I'd be remiss to not give a bit of background on the tank and how I landed on a Cade S2 500. In short, I needed a small footprint for our main living area with limited wall space. I also wanted something self-contained with great asthetics. I took a hard look at all the options out there (mainly Red Sea and Waterbox), even considered a custom tank, but came across a Cade and was instantly intrigued by the build quality and features, it seems really well thought out. All that said, I could find not a single thread on this tank, so hey, here's to the internet’s first Cade 500 build!

Also a shout out to @d2mini for his awesome thread on his Cade 600 and inspiration for this one. With so little available on these tanks in the US, his build really allowed me a closer look at the tank and gave me the confidence to pull the trigger.

Cheers!
Brent

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years... wow! Welcome back! Build looks great so far. I think you are really going to like the Cade. :cool:

OP
OP
LBCBJ

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up to some sweet news, the tank is in route with an ETA of Thursday, wahoo! I have to travel to San Diego for work Fri-Mon, so this should give me just enough time to get the tank out of the box before I go.

IMG_5177.jpg

Last edited:

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I can't wait to follow this. I'm working on accumulating the equipment for a 32g, so I'll definitely be following yours. I'm also looking at the Hydros controllers to play with automation and monitoring. Let us know how you like the X4!

OP
OP
LBCBJ

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I can't wait to follow this. I'm working on accumulating the equipment for a 32g, so I'll definitely be following yours. I'm also looking at the Hydros controllers to play with automation and monitoring. Let us know how you like the X4!
Will do! I hope to provide a review of all the equipment along the way. I believe a controller is definitely not a necessary purchase, but I bought partially for some peace of mind, and partially just to experiment with one. I listened to a podcast where the late Jake Adams even surmised they might be inversely correlated with success rates :).

I was steered toward the Hydros over the Apex by my LFS, and after doing some research decided it was worth a shot.

I will say just superficially, out of the box, the Hydros controller is a very solid, well made piece of equipment.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! I hope to provide a review of all the equipment along the way. I believe a controller is definitely not a necessary purchase, but I bought partially for some peace of mind, and partially just to experiment with one. I listened to a podcast where the late Jake Adams even surmised they might be inversely correlated with success rates :).

I was steered toward the Hydros over the Apex by my LFS, and after doing some research decided it was worth a shot.

I will say just superficially, out of the box, the Hydros controller is a very solid, well made piece of equipment.
I think the issue probably comes when you become too dependent on the automation or don’t plan in any redundancy.

At work, I try to automate what tasks I can, so I thought it would be fun to do the same here. I looked at reefpi, but I really don’t trust myself soldering and doing electronics. I’m an engineer, but not that kind of engineer!

OP
OP
LBCBJ

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back home from travel and it's tank delivery day! Plenty of photos coming of the entire Cade tank setup. In the meantime, I've been playing around with some aquascapes....so many possibilities, even for this small tank.

So a bit on my aquascape. While I'm getting 30lbs of Marco rock 'free' with the tank, I can't handle the white rock effect :p. Instead I ordered a 20lbs box of Caribsea LifeRock Shapes, as well as a box of their nano reef kit.

I've gotta say, the LifeRock exceeds my expectations! Looks great, fairly natural, and is light and quite porous with tons of small holes and caves for the fish. It makes aquascaping sooo easy. After having experimented with a ton of variations, I'll be going with the Shapes, and honestly didn't even need the nano kit for this Cade 500 (I used one nano arch and one nano rock from the nano kit).

You can see from the photo below, there are tons of holes and caves, which should help with flow and preventing dead spots.

IMG_5242.jpeg

I've tried to implement the 'thirds' technique, and leaning to a left hook which is creating a lagoon effect in the middle. It's definitely a challenge to aquascape a 20"x20"x20" footprint, as I'm making an effort to leave at least 2" of clearance on all sides plus plenty of open sand in the front for corals and flow.

Attaching a few options below!

Scape #1 - Left Hook Lagoon

Front
IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5272.jpeg

Scape #2 - Minimalist Right Hook

Front
IMG_5262.jpeg

IMG_5263.jpeg

Scape #3 - Center Mass

Front
IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5252.jpeg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back home from travel and it's tank delivery day! Plenty of photos coming of the entire Cade tank setup. In the meantime, I've been playing around with some aquascapes....so many possibilities, even for this small tank.

So a bit on my aquascape. While I'm getting 30lbs of Marco rock 'free' with the tank, I can't handle the white rock effect :p. Instead I ordered a 20lbs box of Caribsea LifeRock Shapes, as well as a box of their nano reef kit.

I've gotta say, the LifeRock exceeds my expectations! Looks great, fairly natural, and is light and quite porous with tons of small holes and caves for the fish. It makes aquascaping sooo easy. After having experimented with a ton of variations, I'll be going with the Shapes, and honestly didn't even need the nano kit for this Cade 500 (I used one nano arch and one nano rock from the nano kit).

You can see from the photo below, there are tons of holes and caves, which should help with flow and preventing dead spots.

IMG_5242.jpeg

I've tried to implement the 'thirds' technique, and leaning to a left hook which is creating a lagoon effect in the middle. It's definitely a challenge to aquascape a 20"x20"x20" footprint, as I'm making an effort to leave at least 2" of clearance on all sides plus plenty of open sand in the front for corals and flow.

Attaching a few options below!

Scape #1 - Left Hook Lagoon

Front
IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5272.jpeg

Scape #2 - Minimalist Right Hook

Front
IMG_5262.jpeg

IMG_5263.jpeg

Scape #3 - Center Mass

Front
IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5252.jpeg
Love the options for the aquascape!

OP
OP
LBCBJ

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALRIGHTY folks! Here's comes (to my the best of my knowledge) the first ever internet review of the Cade s2 500!

Let's start with some photos of the delivery and the best part of this tank, the STAND! (this is as close to a live stream as one can get on a forum :winking-face:)

Guys, the stand is gorgeous. It's even taller in person that I expected and simply a work of art. Well done Cade. And also kudos to @AlgaeBarn for getting everything here in one piece. I'm super excited to get this setup!

Delivery
IMG_5289.jpeg

Stand in place
IMG_5295.jpeg

Suicide doors (oh yeah!)

IMG_5299.jpeg

Top Down View
IMG_5294.jpeg

Control Panel
IMG_5297.jpeg

Sump
IMG_5301.jpeg

Last edited:

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALRIGHTY folks! Here's comes (to my the best of my knowledge) the first ever internet review of the Cade s2 500!

Let's start with some photos of the delivery and the best part of this tank, the STAND! (this is as close to a live stream as one can get on a forum :winking-face:)

Guys, the stand is gorgeous. It's even taller in person that I expected and simply a work of art. Well done Cade. And also kudos to @AlgaeBarn for getting everything here in one piece. I'm super excited to get this setup!

Delivery
IMG_5289.jpeg

Stand in place
IMG_5295.jpeg

Suicide doors (oh yeah!)

IMG_5299.jpeg

Top Down View
IMG_5294.jpeg

Sump

IMG_5301.jpeg IMG_5297.jpeg
Looks great! I’m looking to get a Cade in the future, did you have to fully unbox it prior to signing for the tank?

OP
OP
LBCBJ

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I’m looking to get a Cade in the future, did you have to fully unbox it prior to signing for the tank?
Thanks! I did take the tops off to ensure nothing was shattered. Otherwise it took upwards of an hour to get the containers broken down. It is incredibly well packed but at the same time it seems like a miracle they make the journey intact!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Delivery
IMG_5289.jpeg

Stand in place
IMG_5295.jpeg

Suicide doors (oh yeah!)

IMG_5299.jpeg

Top Down View
IMG_5294.jpeg

Control Panel
IMG_5297.jpeg

Sump
IMG_5301.jpeg
Stand looks great!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now here's one that I will be looking forward to following! :) We're running a 1200 but I am looking at one of these for a smaller setup! New ideas you know..

Good job- keep it up!

OP
OP
LBCBJ

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy 24 hours! Plumbing is complete and now attempting to make tidy a rats nest of cables.

Wasn’t without its problems. Mainly two things:

1. My Vectra 3/4” wouldnt connect to the 1” cade return, so had to scour Lowes for a reducer bard and vinyl pipe connector. Will need to order some plastic hose clamps as no one local has them.

2. The return plumbing was too long and had to be cut to a very specific height.

While Cade has a few videos of installation out there, they weren’t the easiest to follow.
With a bit of trial and error, figured things out and all looks good!

IMG_5315.jpeg

Cable management is a work in progress. My Hydros controller doesn’t fit so will need to get crafty.

Trying to draw some inspiration from @LukeyB and @d2mini setup. The built in controller cabinet is awesome for keeping a clean asthetic. Should have everything tidy in a few days.

IMG_5319.jpeg

Next up is RODI install. Hoping to get water in for a leak test over the weekend! :D

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back