BrewandReef's JBJ30 RL SPS Nano

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

New Reef2Reef-er here. Just wanted to show a build of my tank. This is my first saltwater tank ever, and I'm still learning everyday. Unfortunately, I'm a stick head, and sometimes I get a big head thinking that I can do anything just cause I'm an engineer haha. I know that's not the case when it comes to marine biology. But acros are just so appealing to me. From the different color variations and branching beauty, to just the straight up challenge. And I totally understand how acros need a "mature" tank, and dry rock just won't do it. Call me irresponsible but I would like to try. And if this doesn't work out, then my wife probably won't let me do it again, and I will flat out tell you, "dang, bro you were right."

Now that I've got that off my chest, my tank is just another JBJ 30 Gallon Rimless AIO. Nothing fancy. Actually bought it off a local reefer for $250 on 05/04/2017, and it was in pretty good condition. Also got a gently used AI Hydra 26 HD for $225 from another local reefer that week. Everything after this was pretty much bought new from BRS.
upload_2018-7-14_19-29-16.png

upload_2018-7-14_19-29-45.png

06/07/2017
Got the AI HMS Single Arm Mounting Kit.

upload_2018-7-14_19-35-6.png

06/26/2017

A bit of BRS Dry Pukani and a MaxSpect Gyre
upload_2018-7-14_19-40-49.png

upload_2018-7-14_19-41-10.png

Gotta love BRS Black Friday specials
upload_2018-7-14_19-44-4.png

Then everything sat in the closet for like a year, and I never thought this tank was going up since the budget was super tight. Then a promotion, and wife getting a new job, I finally bought a Red Sea Blue Bucket of salt and started curing my rock and getting more goodies. I cured my rock in saltwater for about 6 weeks, no bleach or muriatic acid. Did a 100% water change the first few weeks, cause this stuff was FILTHY. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were off the chart. Towards the end, only did about 50% water changes to leave some food for bacteria. After 6 weeks, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates were <5ppm, and phosphate were <0.03ppm.

upload_2018-7-14_19-53-9.png

upload_2018-7-14_19-48-58.png
upload_2018-7-14_19-49-12.png

upload_2018-7-14_19-49-31.png

Anyways, got some more test kits, some filter floss, purigen, chemipure elite, and biospira, and this baby finally went up on 06/09/2018.
upload_2018-7-14_19-58-7.png

I threw in a clown, and then a few more fish a week, later. Consistently checked for any spikes of ammonia or nitrite, and everything was all good. I bought a Spongode frag from a local for $10 as a test, and this thing was just super happy in my tank. But I quickly realized how fast nitrates could rise in a nano with only doing water changes for primary nutrient export. Typically, I had to do 5 gallon WC once per week, when nitrates were hitting about 10 ppm. I was also throwing in some Pohl's Coral Vitalizer daily, just to see if it did anything.

upload_2018-7-14_20-7-7.png

07/04/2018- I bought an acro frag pack from a local. 7 nice acros for $120. Pack included:
Rainbow Mille
PC Rainbow
Strawberry Fields
Paletta Pink Tip
Cali Tort
Mr Pacman
And a no-named acro floating around Austin, TX (they called it Rainbow Nasuta)

upload_2018-7-14_20-16-1.png

upload_2018-7-14_20-17-24.png

upload_2018-7-14_20-17-57.png

upload_2018-7-14_20-18-16.png

upload_2018-7-14_20-18-37.png

I did a WC that following weekend, and it definitely ticked some of them off. Then PE came back about 3 days later. That's when I knew I needed a skimmer, so I could keep my hands out of the water for longer periods. Threw on a Tunze 9004. It's a bit finicky, but overall still a great nano skimmer. Been pulling out some good skimmate.
upload_2018-7-14_20-22-21.png

upload_2018-7-14_20-23-50.png

So, I'm getting tired of writing now. I'm dosing Red Sea's Reef Foundation as well as a low dosage of Reef Energy and Pohl's at night, and all of my acros have been really happy. The spongode is just a beast, doesn't care what goes on in the tank, it just grows and grows. Wife calls it The Hulk. Nitrates are about 2-3 PPM, and phosphates are <0.03 but >0. I REALLY need to get a Hanna UL Phosphorus Checker. Salinity is 35ppt, Calcium 450, Alk 8.4, Mag(Mixed kinda high at 1440 but could be testing error in Red Sea Mg Test) So far in 10 days, the corals have started to grow over the glue on the plug. I'll have to say, the Strawberry Fields and Rainbow Mille have to be the hardiest acros in there. Would definitely recommend those for any acro beginner. PC Rainbow is just a little more finicky, but probably one of my fastest growers thus far. The others are definitely easier to get upset, and they mostly show PE at night. I literally don't watch TV anymore. Just stand in front of the tank after work trying to see if the corals are happy. Seriously though, don't mess with anything if it ain't broken. The corals are much happier when you've got your hands out of the tank. I'll update on my progress soon. Hopefully it'll be good news. Good vibes to all.

-Jonathan

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Great equipment line up. Keep testing water, and if possible go for two parts or kalk in ATO. Rest looks ok. Its bit early to introduce acros, since the tank is relatively young, but we'll see

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah manually dosing 2 part right now twice a day. Testing alk every day. Might get a DOS in the future to help with that. We'll see what happens. Breaking all the rules here

gtaran02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, nice build.... following.

I’m a SPS addict too.
It’s always best to wait/ be patient in the beginning while your tank cycles, but every tank is different and if your corals are happy, then that means your doing a good job.

It looks like you know what you are doing, if you have any questions lmk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, nice build.... following.

I’m a SPS addict too.
It’s always best to wait/ be patient in the beginning while your tank cycles, but every tank is different and if your corals are happy, then that means your doing a good job.

It looks like you know what you are doing, if you have any questions lmk.
Thanks man. I'll admit I jumped on the frag pack too early, and after I commented to buy it, i was like crap maybe I shouldn't have done that. Hard to pass up a good deal. But all in all, everything has been good so far. Just doing my best to provide good husbandry. Still shouldn't have done it though.

gtaran02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I'll admit I jumped on the frag pack too early, and after I commented to buy it, i was like crap maybe I shouldn't have done that. Hard to pass up a good deal. But all in all, everything has been good so far. Just doing my best to provide good husbandry. Still shouldn't have done it though.

Well.. you can use those corals as trial corals. Give them 1-2 months before you add anything else. If those corals survive and are thriving then that’s a good sign.
I’ve been there too, it’s hard to stare at a empty tank. But it’s all worth it in the end.
A dosing pump is a good investment, that way you don’t have to dose manually every day.
This hobby involves a lot of work, I like to automize wherever I can, it takes time away from maintenance and gives more time to enjoy my tank.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. you can use those corals as trial corals. Give them 1-2 months before you add anything else. If those corals survive and are thriving then that’s a good sign.
I’ve been there too, it’s hard to stare at a empty tank. But it’s all worth it in the end.
A dosing pump is a good investment, that way you don’t have to dose manually every day.
This hobby involves a lot of work, I like to automize wherever I can, it takes time away from maintenance and gives more time to enjoy my tank.
Super hard staring at an empty tank. Yup that's definitely the plan. Not planning on adding anymore sps until the tank is completely covered in coraline. Right now there's just a couple of random specks that are spreading . Definitely plan on the dosing pump though in the next few months.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Pulled the chemipure and decided I was gonna go to nopox. Did a half dose of 0.5 mL, and holy crap I had a crazy bacterial bloom. Skimmer went crazy. And I knew I should've just started with a drop or two. Could tell immediately that the water got depleted of oxygen. Mr. pacman acro kinda browned at the tips. PC rainbow is still ticked but ok. Others are ok.

Anyways decided I was gonna do low dose kalk. Got a Pm1 and double junction BRS pH probe. Gonna wait till nutrients get a little higher again and the corals look good, then a 10% water change and add 1/4 teaspoon to the ATO bucket. See what happens from there.

Here's a tank ugly for yall after the nopox. Starry blenny loved the diatom bloom again.
20180720_161134.jpeg
20180720_161703.jpeg

20180720_161714.jpeg
20180720_161723.jpeg

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Shamefullyembarrased It's been awhile but I'm going to wrap this one up with: I ate my (drunken) words. I eventually got dinos and killed off most of the acros dosing stuff to try and get rid of them. Spongode, strawberry fields, and a frogspawn are left and doing well. Luckily, the dinos are gone now, but now I have a bunch of digitate hydroids after adding some chaeto from the LFS awhile back. Plan lately has been to see if I can just grow those few corals that are left. Figure if I can create mini colonies of those, then the tank may be ready to add a few corals.

In the future though, I want to follow the old school reefers advice. I think I would like to use real live rock shipped from florida so as to not run into issues like this. Will be closing on a house in the next few months, so wife gave me approval on a tank upgrade :) . We'll see how the next one goes.

Also, I'm going to be switching out my Hydra 26HD/ 1-24" T5 this weekend for a Lumen Bright Metal Halide Pendant. The Hydra 26HD is an OK light. It can grow corals, but I feel like there is something missing and there is just so much shadowing that I can't stand. If there is room, I'll leave it for dusk and dawn effects, and for nighttime pop. A local guy was selling a 250w MH with a dimmable electronic ballast and a spare non dimmable e-ballast for $80. Even though I'm a tech guy, I'm at a point where I just want plug and play and just want to grow corals. Ordered a Pheonix 14K bulb for it. Hopefully this will help, and hopefully a fan blowing across the top will be enough. This fixture is likely overkill for the tank, but I figured I could use it in the future on a bigger tank if needed.

All in all, don't be dumb and do what I did. ;Facepalm

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been too embarrassed to update my thread because of all the dumb things I've done with my tank. :)

I moved the tank in September of last year into the new house, and ordered some corals from unique corals and battlecorals around Black Friday. I just let the tank be for a while. Some things died, some are stagnant, most are growing. I had a little bryopsis pop up out of nowhere and quite a bit of red turf algae that I can't pull out, so I'm trying vibrant. Let's see how long it takes for me to nuke the tank this time.

20200603_081823.jpg
20200603_081506.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back