Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, why are feeling so poorly still? Did you end up having pneumonia?
THat would suck

It took me 5 months to get lung function back after my bout.

Crazy story- 2 Christmas ago, Katie was traveling 10 days straight. Callie got sick on day 2, I got sick on day 5 but I neglected it due to craziness looking after Callie and trying to keep up with remote work. By day 8 I was suffering from a hacking cough. Callie was fine, I was getting through the day but nights were awful

Anyway, Katie gets home 11pm, I’m in bed, then suddenly I’m in the car going to ER. Katie has gotten woken up to me coughing myself unconscious and falling to the bathroom floor

Atypical pneumonia, O2 saturation was 72%. I was passing in and out of consciousness in the emergency department

Doc said that if Katie had come home a day later, she’d be a single parent right now

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THat would suck

Crazy story- 2 Christmas ago, Katie was traveling 10 days straight. Callie got sick on day 2, I got sick on day 5 but I neglected it due to craziness looking after Callie and trying to keep up with remote work. By day 8 I was suffering from a hacking cough. Callie was fine, I was getting through the day but nights were awful

Anyway, Katie gets home 11pm, I’m in bed, then suddenly I’m in the car going to ER. Katie has gotten woken up to me coughing myself unconscious and falling to the bathroom floor

Atypical pneumonia, O2 saturation was 72%. I was passing in and out of consciousness in the emergency department

Doc said that if Katie had come home a day later, she’d be a single parent right now
I believe it. People forget pneu and flu kill every year.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, why are feeling so poorly still? Did you end up having pneumonia?
It got down into my chest. The doc was amazed I didn't need antibiotics. The elephant isn't sitting on my chest anymore, now its just a large dog. That, and the coughing is still keeping me up at night. So between not sleeping well and having a bit of a hard time breathing, my energy level isn't where it should be.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THat would suck

Wow! Fortunately, I only neglected mine for 3 days and that was because I was out of town for work. My company hired a doctor who has a clinic by our front gate for us to use. He's been having me come in twice a week to keep an eye on how its improving. Sounds like this is why he is being so cautious! Since I can see him any time during the work day, I don't mind going in there. Takes 10 minutes.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Fortunately, I only neglected mine for 3 days and that was because I was out of town for work. My company hired a doctor who has a clinic by our front gate for us to use. He's been having me come in twice a week to keep an eye on how its improving. Sounds like this is why he is being so cautious! Since I can see him any time during the work day, I don't mind going in there. Takes 10 minutes.
Yeah- once it hits the lungs and that hacking cough starts, it real hard to get rid of it. I ended up getting a pseudomonas infection around february. 2 rounds of antibiotics over 5 weeks finally knocked it out around March 15th. Wasn’t until the kids pediatrician heard me cough during a visit in February that we realized it was worse than we thought. My regular physician just dropped the ball. Even with ct scans, he didn’t feel anything was up other than residual, even though I was insistent that the green sticky mucus *is a sign of an infection*. I got a referral from the pediatrician, walked down the hall, and was picking up meds at the pharmacy 45 minutes later.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with ct scans, he didn’t feel anything was up other than residual, even though I was insistent that the green sticky mucus *is a sign of an infection*.
What I have been hacking up has stayed light green. Doc said if it get's dark green/brown or has a nasty taste to it just let him know and he would call in a script for antibiotics.

Hmm.. can't say I expected to be discussing snot on a reefing forum! :p

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the last bit of prep that needs to be done

10B145B9-C0FB-433D-B750-23BA2F9F7AF2.jpeg

Now I realize why my bean animal setup is so loud. I made my own external overflow and made the trickle stand pipe the same height as the full siphon ;Facepalm. Easy fix though.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I realize why my bean animal setup is so loud. I made my own external overflow and made the trickle stand pipe the same height as the full siphon ;Facepalm. Easy fix though.
That would do it! I raised the trickle stand pipe about 2 inches higher than it was in this photo, to give you a reference on what could be a better starting point. My water level runs around an inch below my emergency drain.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would do it! I raised the trickle stand pipe about 2 inches higher than it was in this photo, to give you a reference on what could be a better starting point. My water level runs around an inch below my emergency drain.

I have plenty room then. My water level runs probably 3-4 inches below the emergency drain. 2 years of listening to gurgling, good to know there is a cure. I have tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and sometimes the drain will quiet down then come back a couple hours later.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have been hacking up has stayed light green. Doc said if it get's dark green/brown or has a nasty taste to it just let him know and he would call in a script for antibiotics.

Hmm.. can't say I expected to be discussing snot on a reefing forum! :p
Sorry you have a personal attack of brown jelly in your lungs...get better!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know Brew. I realise virus can make you quite ill, but they are generally short lived. A week coming and a week going is the longest it should last.
I'd say the virus lasted a little over a week. Got sick on Monday, didn't feel the need to take Dayquil/Nyquil anymore by the next Tuesday. It's this residual phlegm that has been giving me problems the last what, 2 weeks?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the virus lasted a little over a week. Got sick on Monday, didn't feel the need to take Dayquil/Nyquil anymore by the next Tuesday. It's this residual phlegm that has been giving me problems the last what, 2 weeks?

I've had to deal with residual gunk in the lungs after a bad cold too. It sometimes lasts up to a month. Main thing I watched for was that it was getting lighter in color. As long as it keeps getting lighter, eventually turning light yellow/white/clear, then you are good.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the new install sir. Adapt and overcome. Do it yourself! Theres no better feeling than when u come out on top of a tough fix or an unforeseen issue.

Hope your condition continues to improve.

And nice top down shots during the drain :)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days I wonder how I keep anything alive. I did not do a good job checking out my system after the big overflow change this past weekend. I did some testing last night and found my PO4 and my NO3 a little high. Actually, my NO3 was still very low but it wasn't 0ppm for a change. Odd....
Not so odd when I climbed under the tank tonight to change my filter socks. My refugium light wasn't on and it should have been. While fighting plumbing under the tank I pulled apart the connection near the fixture. My fuge hasn't had light since Saturday. :(;Facepalm

As I'm looking for the plug end, I notice that my GFO reactor has no flow through it. The little feed pump was running with no tubing on it... water doesn't go where you want it without some form of plumbing. ;Blackeye

Since the GFO had been sitting in salt water with no flow a few days, I changed it out. I got the refugium light running. Hopefully that will help get things back in line.

#honestyinreefing

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s a reefer anywhere hasn’t done something like that. Good catching it before it got to out of hand. Awesome new overflow dram tank will g that route someday for myself

U

User1

View Badges

Is your company owned by a Irishman? Just kidding.

Guinness back in the day opened a medical dispensary to provide doctor's hours and medicine for employees. Of course employers gave a dang back in the 1870's but when I read this - this is what came to my mind. Of course the turn of the century it has since been closed as a service offering but the building is still there. Go figure.

Hope you are feeling better.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your company owned by a Irishman? Just kidding.

Guinness back in the day opened a medical dispensary to provide doctor's hours and medicine for employees. Of course employers gave a dang back in the 1870's but when I read this - this is what came to my mind. Of course the turn of the century it has since been closed as a service offering but the building is still there. Go figure.

Hope you are feeling better.
I'm definitely getting better each day. Still have a bit of a cough and can't take a full deep breath but its more of an annoyance now. Which is a good thing, because I fly to Germany tomorrow.

Spending a week between there and Switzerland to assist one of our sister divisions with some factory acceptance testing. Priority for the day is to get some laundry done and get the tan ready for my wife to take care of for the week. I'll set it up so she shouldn't have to do more than refill the ATO once and feed every evening.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back