Brief Intro

Saltwater_Lab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

My name is Ben and I’ve been in the hobby for a few years. I started back in 2005 and hung it up around 2008. After a divorce, life being naturally chaotic, meeting my new lady and finally settling in our new home in 2017 I decided to start another tank.
My first set up was a frag tank with the intention of growing out the colonies I wanted to keep and eventually setting up a display. As I’ve found is fairly typical in this hobby, I’ve been through a few tanks since. I still have the frag system(50 low boy) and have added a 25 gal nuvo coral qt, Red Sea max 120, and my newest addition, a waterbox 60.2. I also have multiple smaller tanks for fish qt. I do have plans to consolidate tanks eventually into a 5’ display. I’m looking at the Red Sea 525xl.
Currently my focus is on sps and lps, mostly “beginner” stuff, nothing too fancy. Still working on balancing parameters and trying to keep the new additions to a minimum until the new display is set up. Recently I have battled with bryopsis, cyano, a huge salinity spike(faulty equipment and straight out laziness), flatworms and monti eating nudis. I guess if it was boring I would lose interest… however I feel like conquering these has made me better. Live and learn I guess.
I am a member of my local forum, but it seems to go stale at times, and I find myself here more often than there, hence the new account. I appreciate all the information and discussions available for learning and interacting.
My next step is to make my first online livestock purchase. My 60.2 is only 6 months old so I’m still working on stocking it with what I like.
And without further ado…
617D7558-26A8-4CD0-8A85-27AFE4158DDF.jpeg

D7137729-343E-41F8-B743-7AD702E8A93E.jpeg

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to more fun and discussions.

OP
OP
Saltwater_Lab

Saltwater_Lab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the kind words.

Currently in the 60.2 there are a Tomini tang, Leopard wrasse, Black storm clown, black ray gob (with pistol shrimp) and a pintail wrasse. I've added some corals since the last photo, but I haven't got around to taking any new pictures. Perhaps I should start a build thread...
Welcome
Love the rock work.

Welcome to R2R, nice looking tanks :)

Welcome to r2r! Thank you for sharing your story!
The rock scape was a process... took some old live rock out of a sump, smashed it up BRS style and actually used Gluemasters product to get it to hold with some fine sand much like Tidal Gardens video. It then sat in a tub that I ghost fed until my new tank arrived. I think that really helped get the jump start needed for the new inhabitants.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

My name is Ben and I’ve been in the hobby for a few years. I started back in 2005 and hung it up around 2008. After a divorce, life being naturally chaotic, meeting my new lady and finally settling in our new home in 2017 I decided to start another tank.
My first set up was a frag tank with the intention of growing out the colonies I wanted to keep and eventually setting up a display. As I’ve found is fairly typical in this hobby, I’ve been through a few tanks since. I still have the frag system(50 low boy) and have added a 25 gal nuvo coral qt, Red Sea max 120, and my newest addition, a waterbox 60.2. I also have multiple smaller tanks for fish qt. I do have plans to consolidate tanks eventually into a 5’ display. I’m looking at the Red Sea 525xl.
Currently my focus is on sps and lps, mostly “beginner” stuff, nothing too fancy. Still working on balancing parameters and trying to keep the new additions to a minimum until the new display is set up. Recently I have battled with bryopsis, cyano, a huge salinity spike(faulty equipment and straight out laziness), flatworms and monti eating nudis. I guess if it was boring I would lose interest… however I feel like conquering these has made me better. Live and learn I guess.
I am a member of my local forum, but it seems to go stale at times, and I find myself here more often than there, hence the new account. I appreciate all the information and discussions available for learning and interacting.
My next step is to make my first online livestock purchase. My 60.2 is only 6 months old so I’m still working on stocking it with what I like.
And without further ado…

Sounds like quite the journey! Welcome back to the hobby

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

And without further ado…

Welcome to Reef2Reef! Nice frag tank, that thing is slammed!

Back