Bright colors on the edge of sandbed

Twaves18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gal nano tank, been up and running for about 5 months now. Ive been seeing new and consistent algae growth since month 3. About the same time I noticed a small amount of these bright colors and didnt think much of it. 2 months later the colors range from bright red, to cyan, to a greenish yellow, covering most of the perimeter of my sand bed. The last couple of days this coloration has extended above the sand bed. I am concerned that this may be detrimental to my tank, first believing it to be the cause of trapped air (it is not). I have no clue what this is, could it cyano? dyno? or some type of algae? If you have an idea please lmk, so far my tank seems to be doing perfectly fine with this unknown entity.

Salinity= 1.24
Ammonia= 0
Nitrites= 0
Nitrates= 5-15 (bad testing kit)
Temp= 79 F

IMG_0372.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bed has little areas of that in the back, not a big deal. you are allowed to clean it any time you want, or let it ride to fuller levels and then do big catchup cleanings, that's not harmful above till its 80% of your sandbed, clean before then.

it doesnt become toxic even at 80% levels but by that time of no cleaning, any part of the bed that accidentally gets stirred up with a rock slide or a powerhead detachment risks kicking up the waste bigtime, left totally alone the bed w probably run years it just becomes an access risk if we dont find a cleaning balance in nanos.

Last edited:

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going up the side, it's probably expected cyano as your tank starts to mature.

I think that nitrate-fixing bacteria grows in the sand. The side of my sand has burgundy and other colors below the surface, only visible from the side. I believe it to be part of a healthy tank's biome.

OP
OP
T

Twaves18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you for everyone helping to clear that up for me. I will clean it within a few weeks. Good to know its nothing too terrible

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back