Brightwell Neonitro and Neophos

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of dosing neonitro and neophosphate from brightwell aquatics. The neonitro says it will lower phosphates and neophos says it will lower nitrates. That does not make sense to me why one would lower the other when i need to raise both. Anyone would like to chime in? Thanks!

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point is to use both to raise both. Directions say that. They say can be used in conjunction with the other to achieve the levels you want.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing algae use nitrates and phosphates to make biomolecules necessary for growth. The rule of thumb is twenty times as much nitrate is consumed as phosphate. If a system has zero phosphate, it can have plenty of nitrate and the algae cannot consume the nitrate. So if you add phosphate, nitrate consumption will greatly increase. The reverse is also true. That might be the rationale they have for the statement. Now I have dosed first years and never observed that effect, but I have never had a big phosphate/nitrate imbalance either. If you want to increase both nitrate and phosphate, dosing both works just fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back