Brightwell Potassium dosing question

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by bigroost, Mar 7, 2018.

1. bigroost

bigroost Active Member

Could someone tell me if I'm reading this correctly:
    Advanced: Create a stock solution by dissolving 5 grams (~2 teaspoons) of Potassion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase the potassium concentration (“[K+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 1.7 ppm. [Reference: Each g of Potassion-P will increase the [K+] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by ~129 ppm.] If initial [K+] in the aquarium is below 399 ppm, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired concentration is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below). Maintain [K+] within a range of +/-10 ppm. Once desired [K+] has been acquired, measure aquarium's [K+] at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period to determine the daily rate of potassium uptake (i.e. the decrease in potassium). To determine daily dosing rate (preferable to weekly dosing): estimate volume of water in entire aquarium system (US-gal.); divide the daily decrease in [K+] by 1.7; multiply this number by volume of water in system to obtain daily ml of stock sol’n required to maintain stable [K+].

I have a 200 gallon system, The way I read that the most I can dose in a day would be 100ml and it would raise my K .85ppm. I recently got a ICP test that put my K at 373, Seems like that will take a while to fix the issue.

Tags:

2. bigroost

bigroost Active Member

Anyone have a minute to check my math?

3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

IMO, it is a seemingly ridiculous statement to limit the boost to less than 1 ppm per day. lol

10 ppm per day is fine. All at once is probably fine too. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted