Brightwell Potassium dosing question

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me if I'm reading this correctly:
Advanced: Create a stock solution by dissolving 5 grams (~2 teaspoons) of Potassion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase the potassium concentration (“[K+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 1.7 ppm. [Reference: Each g of Potassion-P will increase the [K+] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by ~129 ppm.] If initial [K+] in the aquarium is below 399 ppm, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired concentration is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below). Maintain [K+] within a range of +/-10 ppm. Once desired [K+] has been acquired, measure aquarium's [K+] at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period to determine the daily rate of potassium uptake (i.e. the decrease in potassium). To determine daily dosing rate (preferable to weekly dosing): estimate volume of water in entire aquarium system (US-gal.); divide the daily decrease in [K+] by 1.7; multiply this number by volume of water in system to obtain daily ml of stock sol’n required to maintain stable [K+].

I have a 200 gallon system, The way I read that the most I can dose in a day would be 100ml and it would raise my K .85ppm. I recently got a ICP test that put my K at 373, Seems like that will take a while to fix the issue.

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI for future folks, I had a triton test come back and my potassium was 304 mg/l (i rarely ever do water changes so my own fault). More importantly they recommend breaking up the dosing to get to 400 mg/l over 7 days which is about 15 mg/l (ppm) per day. Since they sell this product on a large scale your probably just fine with 15 ppm per day.
Hope that helps!
(also fyi, if you get a test done you can back out the concentration of the chemicals in their "magic bottles" that they wont' tell you whats in it). To fix my tank back to standard levels it was $550 in triton magic on the BRS website but I bought the chemicals from other brands for about $70 in dry form to do the same thing.
Hope your corals responded well! I'm curious to know if you saw a difference?

OP
OP
bigroost

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice some improvement, but it coulda been that or some other things I was trying at the time. I haven't tested it in months though and feel fairly sure it has crept back down. Around 6 months or so ago the tank finally settled in and looks good most all of the time so I mostly just try to keep up water changes and let it do its thing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back